The Departure Lounge

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

The Departure Lounge

Postby AdamfromCanada » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Has traffic slowed in here in the last while? I'm scheduled for my 4th-6th G Tours, and with the first three, I posted on here and got immediate response from people on my tour each time. Not so this time around. At first I thought that was just due to the trip being so far out, but now, with 69 days before my departure for Peru, it's getting close and still nothing. Looking in there, it does look like most threads have just one lonely person looking for people on their tour and no responses.

I wonder if the watering hole isn't being frequented as often now by travellers before their trip and if anyone has any idea why. I've always really enjoyed when I've found someone who is on one of my tours, and in two cases, a few us actually arranged to do some exploring ahead of the tour's start.

Maybe it would help if there was a more prominent spot on the G Adventures website? Or if the trip generated a departure thread automatically with a link? Anyhow, I'm just curious as to other's impressions on this.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: The Departure Lounge

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:53 pm

A lot of people post on the FB site. You may want to try there. I've always thought the forum needed a bigger spot on the home page.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby AdamfromCanada » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:22 pm

DanielBMe wrote:A lot of people post on the FB site. You may want to try there. I've always thought the forum needed a bigger spot on the home page.

I've seen the facebook site before, but always thought that's a needle in a haystack sort of thing. There's so much traffic there, and so many comments that the message gets drowned out pretty quickly!

There should be something on the FB site directing people to the Departure Lounge too, if you ask me.
AdamfromCanada

Postby darlinggirl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 pm

My trip to Africa is less than 2 weeks away and I haven't had a single response to my Departure Lounge posting. Sorta bummed because I was really looking forward to touching base with fellow travellers. Ah well, I'll see them soon enough I guess.
darlinggirl
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby sinecure » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Most people don't read the documentation that is sent to them about the watering hole and the facebook page.
sinecure

Postby AdamfromCanada » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:05 pm

sinecure wrote:Most people don't read the documentation that is sent to them about the watering hole and the facebook page.

I can't help thinking that there has to be a better way for G Adventures to promote this place.

Of course, that would only make life more difficult for you administrators, but still would be nice to have more contributors.
AdamfromCanada

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:34 pm

All that's required is a big sign on the homepage labeled "Visit our Forums and See What Everyone is Talking About".

I'm sure that would generate more traffic. Keep in mind though that many people buy the trips via a travel agent and don't actually visit the website in general.
DanielBMe

Postby sinecure » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:40 pm

AdamfromCanada wrote:
sinecure wrote:Most people don't read the documentation that is sent to them about the watering hole and the facebook page.

I can't help thinking that there has to be a better way for G Adventures to promote this place.

Of course, that would only make life more difficult for you administrators, but still would be nice to have more contributors.

Life is only more difficult when we get spammers, we like the rest of you lot 8)
sinecure

Postby leahlovestravel » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:52 am

AdamfromCanada wrote:
DanielBMe wrote:A lot of people post on the FB site. You may want to try there. I've always thought the forum needed a bigger spot on the home page.

I've seen the facebook site before, but always thought that's a needle in a haystack sort of thing. There's so much traffic there, and so many comments that the message gets drowned out pretty quickly!

There should be something on the FB site directing people to the Departure Lounge too, if you ask me.

There is a new feature on the facebook page. Look in the left hand column for G-meetup. Click on that and then there's a search tool at the top to find your tour and departure month. It's still pretty new so not everyone is looking there yet but at least it will help find the needle in the haystack. Would be terrific if they could link this new feature to the watering hole in addition. Nice to see they are trying though.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:51 pm

They should use the Facebook page to direct travelers to the forums. Personally, I don't use Facebook and don't envision anything that would cause me to do so.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Zuleika » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm never bothered. Although I do usually post in the departure lounge. But happy to meet people as and when it happens.
Used to, and also comfortable with, travelling by myself until this happens.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Return to Off-topic