Cloud Storage

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cloud Storage

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:55 am

Heading on a big trip soon, and wondering if anyone has used any of the sites for cloud storage yet. I've been reading up a little bit, but it's hard to figure out which websites will accept RAW images (I've read that Google Docs/Picasa does NOT, but that people have found that out the hard way, by buying a chunk of space and then when going to back-up getting a message that the photo will be converted to JPEG for storage).

I'll be taking my iPad with me, so iCloud is an option, but it seems to be the most expensive option too, probably because Apple figures iPad users won't shop around much.

I was reading on Dropbox yesterday, and it appears it doesn't store the whole file, only the parts that might change...this seems like a recipe for disaster, because if a memory card goes corrupt, then I wouldn't have the original file...

Has anyone used any of the other options?
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Cloud Storage

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Adam --

I have my own cloud of sorts. You can "buy" a domain name for $12-15 and shared IP hosting with unlimited storage and bandwidth for about $80/year. I have been able to setup that domain with my own e-mail address and photo bank/server using Coppermine. I can FTP whatever files I want to the domain without restrictions and pull back down whatever I want.

At present, I've got something like 400 GB of photos and video stored and they're the full files. Just look at providers like Go Daddy, Website Source, etc.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby AdamfromCanada » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:50 pm

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:Adam --

I have my own cloud of sorts. You can "buy" a domain name for $12-15 and shared IP hosting with unlimited storage and bandwidth for about $80/year. I have been able to setup that domain with my own e-mail address and photo bank/server using Coppermine. I can FTP whatever files I want to the domain without restrictions and pull back down whatever I want.

At present, I've got something like 400 GB of photos and video stored and they're the full files. Just look at providers like Go Daddy, Website Source, etc.

Interesting...I do have my own domain...but how do I transfer RAW files up to it?
AdamfromCanada

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Your site provider should have an interface allowing you to FTP files up to it. This is generally how people update their websites -- compose off-line then upload after checkout. You can usually do this with your account logon but you may have to (or at least want to) create a dedicated FTP login for this.

In my case, I use the FireFTP add-on to Firefox to log onto my website and upload files -- any kind of files -- to designated locations. The RAW files can be rather big so I typically don't upload those but can if requested.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby AdamfromCanada » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:13 pm

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:Your site provider should have an interface allowing you to FTP files up to it. This is generally how people update their websites -- compose off-line then upload after checkout. You can usually do this with your account logon but you may have to (or at least want to) create a dedicated FTP login for this.

In my case, I use the FireFTP add-on to Firefox to log onto my website and upload files -- any kind of files -- to designated locations. The RAW files can be rather big so I typically don't upload those but can if requested.

My website, I've used a combination of Wordpress and SlideShowPro to develop...but I'm going to look in to this. Given I'm already spending the money on the domain, this makes a lot more sense than buying some other storage spot!

Thanks for your help!
AdamfromCanada

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Any time. I keep a travelog of sorts using WordPress but use Coppermine for my online photo album. I can upload all kinds of files but only display what I want.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Mozzy allows for raw camera storage. Although it appears you can only backup 2-4gb a day. Not ideal for large files as that works out to maybe 175 or so pics assuming around 14gb per pic.

http://www.nyip.com/ezine/digital/cloud ... _mozy.html
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs