Egypt - Felluca - Cold at Night?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Egypt - Felluca - Cold at Night?

Postby clampard9 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:42 pm

We will be staying overnight on a felluca in early January (Best of Egypt trip). I really don't want to bring a sleeping bag for one night usage. How cold will it be at night? Any ideas on how to stay warm?
clampard9
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Egypt - Felluca - Cold at Night?

Postby tletter » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:50 pm

clampard9 wrote:How cold will it be at night?

When we were on the felucca in late December, it was surprising cold at night.
clampard9 wrote:Any ideas on how to stay warm?

They have blankets so get as many as you can; wear your clothes to bed; sleep together; wear a toque; and think warm thoughts.

Thomas
http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby leahlovestravel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 am

I did this end of November last year. Was sooooo glad to have a sleeping bag. Definitely gets cold at night on the water. Also, you will LOVE this part of your trip. :)
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Zuleika » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 pm

freezing - grab some blankets, and cuddle up. You'll need warm clothing anyway as it is cold at night generally in the desert in wintertime so wear these also. Some companies rig up an tent on board the deck to keep you a bit warmer - you could enquire if GAP does this, in which case you wont be as cold.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ns » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:27 pm

I just got back from this trip, and while it's chilly, it's honestly not that bad. A hat would have been nice, but a few layers, socks, comfy pants, and you'll be fine. I think I only had a tank top, a long sleeved t-shirt, lululemon pants, socks and a scarf on. I may have also had some wine through the afternoon and dinner, which I'm sure played a role in my warmth. I was chilly in the morning.

They give you really warm blankets, and they're big enough that you can double them over. I wouldn't recommend schlepping a sleeping bag for the whole week just for one night. Just bring a good sweater or a couple of lighter ones, and you should be fine.

Enjoy!
ns

Postby amyrachelnyc » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:00 pm

I went on this trip at the end of November last year. I carried around a sleeping bag the whole time for that one felucca night and it was NOT worth it, I didn't even use it. It was definitely chilly but they have really heavy blankets and the felucca is like one big mat that provides enough cushioning to sleep on. If anything, you could bring a sheet to wrap around you b/c the blankets are a bit itchy but do not shlep around a sleeping bag.

Amy
amyrachelnyc

Return to Africa and Middle East