Trans-Mongolian Adventure

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Trans-Mongolian Adventure

Postby npodendorf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Anyone up for this new one? It's essentially the Roam St. Petersburg to Beijing, except in YOLO version, which I'm not pleased about, but I still qualify for. Every other detail of the trip looks the same. I think I'll be looking to book this trip for May 2011 pretty soon....
npodendorf
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Trans-Mongolian Adventure

Postby onyx007 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi Nicole

It was a great trip and I liked it very much. Just in between there were some long days on the train.

Time of the year: As i don't like it when it's to hot, September was brilliant, but at some places you could tell, that they have really low season, but if you are adventurous than it's even better, that you don't come across big tourist groups.
I don't know about the guaranteed departure, but that question will GAP surely know to answer. (I think it's about 10 people, we were 16 including the tour leader)
My highlights were the whole experience in Mongolia; the people there, especially the local leaders were really friendly and helpfull and the landscape just amazing. Also the short stay at the shore of Lake Baikal was nice, as it was a quite place to get some air and rest.
I think it's a once in a lifetime experience; if I haven't done it before I would do it every time again.

And here some tipps, which I got in advance before my trip and some I figured out while travelling:
- as soon as you arrive and have met with your tour group throw the itenary in the rubbish, you don't need it on this journey
- bring along the "Trans Mongolian Handbook" or the "Trans Sibirian" Lonely Planet if you are interested in some sights along the long railway journey
-it all depends on your travel mates, if you have a good group the train journey goes by in a blink
- you don't need a travel blanket, sheet or a sleeping bag, everything is provided on the train, in the hotels, even in the Ger-Camp
- bring a cup and maybe some powder to make coffee, cacao or tea as there is on every train a hot water stove
and finally get ready for a epic journey of about 8500 km and a lot of Wodka !
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby npodendorf » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks, I think I really have my heart set on going in September. My other Option is May or July. I think I am going to nix July (even tho it's already guaranteed) because that is high tourist/mozzie/tick season and also the warmest time. I would prefer fall I think.

I am very excited by your post! Thanks for the tips on sleep sheet (I would have brought one and wasted valueable souvenier space) and instant coffee (i need coffee!)
npodendorf

Postby jimshu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:24 pm

We were there in July for Nadaam Festival and never a mozzie nor a tick did we see. Saw a few tourists, but only at the festival . It's a huge country, with such a small population a few extra tourists don't make much difference. And with Nadaam coming up, in all the small, and they were small towns we passed through, they were all practising their wrestling, archery or horse riding.
And in the evenings during Nadaam, their State Orchestra will have a nightly performance that we thoroughly enjoyed of dancing, contortionists, orchestral works and throatsinging. I think I'd go back at that time just for that performance.
But whenever you, go it will truly be a great tour.Try the smoked omul at Lystvyanka....I can taste it now.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby onyx007 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:27 pm

jimshu wrote:Try the smoked omul at Lystvyanka....I can taste it now.

Yeah, it's tasty isn't it ?
onyx007

Postby Finnster9 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:24 pm

I'm also looking at doing this trip. Likely in May.
Finnster9
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Europe