Rabies jab?!

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Rabies jab?!

Postby kate11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi! Me and three friends are going on the Capes and Dunes trip this December/January and are wondering if we need the rabies jab? Is Namibia and Cape Town a high risk area, especially if we are camping? We've done some research and it looks like it's going to cost us about £165 to get the injection so we're just wondering if anyone can has any advice before we cough up! Thanks in advance, Kate
kate11
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Rabies jab?!

Postby ballu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:54 pm

It's a personal choice and I recommend consulting your medical professional...but I just booked my 6th trip and I've never had one...including 24 days camping in Africa.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby lynn.fishwick » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:28 am

I am going to Kenya and Uganda and visited a medical travel centre where I had my rabies jabs, its a lot of money but you can get bites from dogs and monkeys, its best to speak to your own doctor and when you have all the facts then you can make up your own minds, have fun x
lynn.fishwick

Postby Zuleika » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:17 pm

I didnt and wouldnt bother.
Firstly, you need post exposure treatment anyway so you need to seek medical advice if you get bitten, whether you have had the jab or not.
Secondly, you never get that close to the animals.
Thirdly, I dont remember ever seeing any dogs on the trip, certainly not in the wilds. If you see any in the towns just steer clear.
I have had four trips to Africa now and never needed it - personally I would save your money, but it IS your call as we all say!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby kate11 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks for all your advice folks! It's really helped. I think we'll probably not get it especially if we don't come into contact with animals during the tour and just hope for the for best!...

Zuleika and Ballu - I hope this is a good tour! We're really excited as none of us have been to SA before. Any other top tips?

Kate and co.
kate11

Postby gaja » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey there,
I did the Capes & Dunes tour last December. Not the Overland tour, the one with accomodation, but it is basically the same route. I had an amazing time and I bet you will too. I wonder if you thought about spending an extra day or two in Cape Town? In my opinion, it is really worth it. Prior to this trip, I've been to South Africa (and Cape Town) two more times, and I never got bored!
Have a nice trip!!
All my posts and recommendations just represent my personal opinion and experience.
gaja
User Rank: Traveller

Postby kate11 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Gaja! Thanks for the post. Yes, we've booked 4 extra days at the end of our trip in Cape Town so sounds like we've done the right thing! I'm glad you can recommend the Capes and Dunes tour and you enjoyed it. December won't come soon enough now!
kate11

Postby gaja » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:09 pm

In my opinion, you've definetely done the right thing :)
4 days Cape Town gives you the opportunity to visit a decent part of the city and the surroundings. Here are some recommendations what you could do there.

- Explore the city; the city bowl with Company's Gardens, V/A Waterfront, Camps Bay Beach & Clifton, Green Point, Bo-Kaap, Castle of Good Hope (just to mention some parts as an example). I found it handy to use the City Sightseeing Hop-on Hop-off bus to get around when not having a rental car. It heads for most tourist hot spots and is not too expensive.
- Visit Table Mountain on a day with clear view. I would take the cable car to get up and down. I think it costs something like 180-200 rand per person.
- Take a trip around the Cape Peninsula visiting Kalk Bay, the Penguins at Simon's Town, Chapman's Peak drive and of cause the Cape of Good Hope. In my opinion, the best way to do this is with a rental car, but I think that there are also tours offered if you don't have one.
- If you are interested in, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens is a very nice place.
- You could take a trip to the Cape Winelands. There are many beautiful wine farms in Cape Town (Constantia) and in the close-by cities like Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschoek. You find some very nice Cape Dutch architecture there as well.
- If you are up for it, party in the bars and clubs on Long Street.
- http://www.capetown.travel has much more detailed information about the destination Cape Town. Maybe you would like to take a look there.
Those are just some things and activities I really enjoyed. Maybe it is a helpful list for you.

Just one remark at the end, act responsibly when moving around in a South African city. There is no need to be scared, but be aware of security issues. Your Ministry of Forein Affairs should provide a list of security information.
Enjoy your trip, it'll be a blast!!
All my posts and recommendations just represent my personal opinion and experience.
gaja

Postby bushkid » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi Kate,

I'm a wildlife guide in Southern Africa, and I've led trips throughout the region for many companies (including G Adventures). Delta Dunes Falls was my speciality.

In over 12 years of guiding, and more than 50 years of living all over Southern Africa, I've never once heard of anyone being been exposed to rabies. The only folk who may have a reasonable chance of encountering it, could be wildlife management or veterinary travellers.

I've never seen a rabid animal (although I've heard of one or two). And I've NEVER encountered polio, thyphoid, diptheria, or any of the dread diseases that everyone worries about.

Hope this sets your heart at rest.

Lots of good tips above.

Russell
bushkid
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby schafer10 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:39 am

My doctor recommended it today for the Ultimate Africa.

In the end, I won't be getting the rabies shot. It is quite expensive, requires 2 doses, has significant potential side effects and you can be treated if you get bitten anyway.
schafer10

Postby kate11 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks shafer10. Glad we're not the only ones not getting it. Bushkid - that's very reassuring! If you haven't experienced or known of any rabies incidents then we should be ok. Thank you!
kate11

Postby kate11 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Gaja - thanks for your top tips! Will write all these down for sure and look into all your suggestions this weekend. Sounds like we're going to have a brill time! So excited! Thank you! :-)
kate11

Return to Africa and Middle East