Why does no one respond in the Departure Lounge?

Post your opinions and suggestions to help improve our website and discussion forum.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Why does no one respond in the Departure Lounge?

Postby mindy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:28 pm

I posted my trip in the departure lounge many months ago and even though my trip is fully booked I have had no response. I have noticed that this is the case with most other posts in this forum to....lots of views but no replies.

Does no one want to connect with those going on the same trip?

I know I would love to!! :D
mindy
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Why does no one respond in the Departure Lounge?

Postby TravelFun » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi Mindy,

I don't think there's any straightforward answer...I posted my trip to Greece in the departure lounge last year and like you had no reply yet the trip was fully booked. Some weren't aware of this forum but the group I had were just fabulous and we all had such a fun time together!

Just one of those things I guess!

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 pm

I've been on a few Gap trips and it seems most people don't even know about the Departure Lounge. A lot of people book through a travel agent who doesn't seem to pass on information like the Detailed Trip Itinerary or Trip Details information. I know when I booked my first trip through Gap almost 4 years ago, I didn't even find out about the Wateringhole muchless the Departure Lounge until a few days before I left.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jimshu » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah such a shame as it does lend an extra enjoyment to the trip. You pay a lot so getting in and forming relationships prior to is just great.Has other benefits also.
I had a short discussion with a member before we left for a trip starting in Cape Town. A late flight meant we missed our connector to Cape Town, so missed our pre-booked transit .Finally flew in very late at night, expecting to have a hassle getting another transit to our hotel. Walked out of Arrivals lounge and there was her name being held up in the air, so just asked them for a lift and it was OK.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby onyx007 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 am

I got during my last trip some respons that they read my posting but didn't reply because they just don't like to get themself in such forums. They like to read it but most of them don't like to take part in such forums.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby georginal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:13 pm

onyx007 wrote:I got during my last trip some respons that they read my posting but didn't reply because they just don't like to get themself in such forums. They like to read it but most of them don't like to take part in such forums.

I think that is very true. Also Gap has this habit of sticking several trips together on the same departure date. For example, my trip was from Cape Town to Nairobi. There were also people on that trip that were going Cape Town to Windhoek, Cape Town to Livingstone, Cape Town to Zanzibar, so a lot of people just don't make the connection.

It also comes down to time, and also a lot of people put these trips together as part of a bigger world trip, so don't have the internet access. Also if people are trying to finish off work before they go on holiday, getting on-line is not exactly their priority!! I'm sure there's many other reasons as well.

Its dissapointing, but understandable.

I also think that Explorerwannabe is right with the point about TA's. Although they come into their own if you get stuck, sick or otherwise and can't take your flight or whatever, they are not good at passing on details such as this. I found it from doing my own digging and then wasn't even sure at first that I had the right TO.
georginal

Postby nytim » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 am

I agree that people must not know about it. My trip is fully booked but I cannot find anyone in the Waterhole that has responded :(

nytim
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:23 pm

There are travel addicts and there are travelers. I haunt this forum many times a day. I wander my trips on google earth long before I go. Many times we have known the right turn in our travels because I walked the streets on google earth ahead of the trip. My husband and daughter drew the line in July when I had researched a restaurant in Kenya online and asked which wine they'd like to order with dinner the night we arrived. :oops: The more I know about a place the better I like the trip. My husband and daughter on the other hand enjoy it far more if the trip unfolds like a magical mystery. I walk the google streets, ponder the wines in far-off restaurants, request tips from foreign concierges, and generally make the destination familiar. I respond in the departure lounge. My husband and daughter shun such familiarity, preferring to know only the flight details!

Maybe the majority of the world are like my husband and daughter. Surprise me, world! :P
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to Website and Forum Feedback