Travel Photography Course

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travel Photography Course

Postby Collette » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been on 4 GAP trips, and am planning my 5th. Each time I prepare to go away, I do an online search for a travel photography course in Toronto...they are few and far between! And some are very expensive. So I decided to partner up with a professional photographer and experienced photography instructor, and we are developing a 16 hour travel photography course. The course is in the development stages, so if any of my fellow Gappers would like to offer up some topic suggestions, please let me know! Have you ever taken a photography class? If so, what was the most valuable lesson learned prior to your trip? With all the amazing destinations offered by GAP, being able to take amazing pictures to remember your experience, makes it all the better :D

Also, if you live in Toronto, and are planning a trip, let me know if you'd like more information on the course. We are planning it for October 2011.

Collette
Collette
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Travel Photography Course

Postby carol.e17 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi Coliette, great idea. I live I London ( UK) and have been getting more into photography over the past year... I think the most useful things I've learnt have been general compositional tips and aperture info, that whilst they affect all photos have hopefully helped move my travel pics to a different level.
Carol :D
carol.e17
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Zuleika » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:13 pm

My first course I learnt how to use aperture and shutter priority mode rather than auto all the time - and used them pretty constantly until my second course when I learnt full manual exposure and i also learnt how to use the in-camera histogram which was an absolute revelation!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Sounds like it might be a fun course. Maybe you can pm me the dates and what your course covers.

The 4 things that helped me the most were the following

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - This really helped explain so much about exposure
The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby
Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D90 - the best guides ever
Practice, Practice, Practice
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby tcd » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:43 am

hi Collette,
I am going to Ecuador & Galapagos in feb 2012 and would like to know if you have gottenyour photography course going? I live in Markham and would like to hear from you.
thanks,
tcd
tcd
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Collette » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 am

Hi tcd,

You will LOVE Galapagos!! Unfortunately, the travel photography course was cancelled...not enough interest :(

But, you should check out my instructors web site http://www.picturetheweb.com/ptw/classes/begin.htm

He has several one-day workshops for $49 (a steal!). And there are a few this month!

Here are some of my pics from Galapagos if you'd like to see what you're in for
http://www.flickr.com/photos/collettev/ ... 237566599/

Collette
Collette

Postby tcd » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks Collette,

Awesome photos! thanks for sharing. I can't wait to be there. Galapagos is on the top of my bucket list. I'm going to be 70 in January, so it is urgent that I get through as many trips that are on my Bucket list as possible.
Last year I did the Monarch Butterfly Trail...Great Trip if you are looking for another Nature trip.

I will check out your instructor's link.
Cheers
Young at Heart
tcd

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs