West coast trip, Seattle to LA?

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

West coast trip, Seattle to LA?

Postby sophie24 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 pm

I'm 18 years old, a female traveller and I'm looking for anyone who is interested in visiting the west coast of the US in summer 2012.

The states I'd like to visit are Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Nevada and California. I'd like the trip to be around 3 weeks but I'm flexible on the duration. If you're slightly interested please get in touch, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers,
Sophie
sophie24
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: West coast trip, Seattle to LA?

Postby thecakeisalie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:11 pm

You may have to narrow that down a bit as to what you would like to see and do in those states, because that is a humongous amount of land you just listed. National parks? Cities? Long stretches of desolate roads? And will you have a car? Better yet, you will definitely need a car, public transit out west is mostly limited to cities, the occasional Greyhound bus not withstanding.

Good luck with your trip planning, three weeks will fly by out west!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby sophie24 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks for your response. Places I was hoping to visit...

- Heading from Seattle, Mt. Rainier National Park and through Montana mainly for the scenery.
- The Glacier National Park for the wildlife and the hiking. Would love to experience all the 'western ranches' etc.
- Yellowstone National Park for scenery and wildlife
- Grand Teton National Park & Jackson
- Wyoming & Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado)
- Arkansas River & Colorado Rockies, possibly white water rafting here. Then drive to old gold rush towns such as Ouray or Telluride. Good places for walking and biking.
- Monument Valley - for a Native American experiences and to visit the Navajo Indian Reservation
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Lake Powell & Zion National Park for swimming, hiking, stunning scenery etc.
- Can't miss out on a trip to Las Vegas!... and LA of course!

Wanting to hire a car so I'm looking for someone who can drive in the US.
sophie24

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:32 pm

My husband says it took him 10 years to do all that! :lol:

You are talking about an area the size of Europe. I think you might want to consider staying longer. If that is not possible, I think you will need to cut back on the number of places. Think about cutting down through Idaho and Utah (Seattle to Spokane to Boise to Salt Lake City to Arches National Park to Natural Bridges National Park -- to Monument Valley) -- more than enough there to make up for Montana and Colorado, IMO. You can do white water rafting in Idaho (Hells Canyon for one) or Utah (Colorado River or Green River, among others). There are a million other itineraries that would work as well.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby rentyourtentusa » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 am

You might want to try to find some one who is a bit older than you, at least above 23. The problem is getting a rental car. Unless you are 25, a rental car is VERY expensive. You can offset these costs by looking at my website ,www.rentyourtentusa.com. and find info for tent rental . Under links you will find a comparison car rental place.
Or were you planning to take the bus? Also check out Craigslist.org where you can find ride sharing under community.

Happy planning and I would keep a flexible mind about what you want to do. Go with the flow; have an idea of where you want to go, but don't rush. For many places you will need to spend a couple of days to get a "feel" of the place.
rentyourtentusa

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:05 pm

That's rushed but doable. It's a pity you're not trying to do this after a year or two of college/university so you have a chance to network. It's definitely doable if you can find a fellow college student who can use the family car for that trip.

Bear in mind you will literally spend days on the road. As an example, it's about a two day drive to go from Denver to Lake Powell -- call it three days if you drive to Zion National Park, overnight and spend a full day there then set out the next morning.

However, should be a great adventure -- good luck!
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to North America