Lenses, Lenses, Lenses!

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Lenses, Lenses, Lenses!

Postby whitling2k » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Hey there,

I've got a 9 week trip around South America coming soon, taking in Ecuador, Peru, Inca Trail, Salar de Uyuni, Atacama Desert, Buenos Aires, Iguassu and Rio (amongst a few) and can't decide on which lens combo to take... Wonder if anyone here has got any tips or advice?

I've got a Panasonic GF1 (body weighing in at 349g) with the following lenses:

40mm (equiv) F1.7 - prime - 118g with stunning IQ
90-400mm (equiv) F4.0-5.6 - telephoto zoom - 400g - heavy and slow lens, but with good zoom
28-84mm (equiv) F3.5-5.6 - kit lens - 180g - wide angle zoom

My current thoughts are to ditch the slow zoom in favour of the more artistic prime and the lightweight and smaller wide angle kit lens.

This set-up would mean I've still got some zoom (84mm) but save nearly 1/2 a kilo and a 12cm long lens off my pack weight - which I'm sure has security benefits too!

But obviously - there are some impressive animals/birds that I wonder if I will regret missing... but then 400g is a lot?!

I also don't think I could really live without the 28mm wide angle - buildings and landscapes spring to mind...

Cheers

Whitling2k
whitling2k
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Lenses, Lenses, Lenses!

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 pm

I wouldn't go on a trip like that without my 400mm lens! Personally I would take them all. 84mm isn't much of a zoom but it depends on whether or not you want to get pictures of the small things like birds. Just a hunch but I have to think if you own the 400mm lens you have discovered a need for it! :wink:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Zuleika » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:35 pm

I would say it depends on how much you love your prime over your telephoto, because you have got the focal length of 40mm covered already - is the IQ worth carrying around this lens over losing the 400mm?
Really Id prob take all 3 thou :lol: as I would hate that missed opportunity much more than putting up with the extra weight.
(Reckon that prime would be totally fabulous at the Galapagos thou - you going there?)

Finally - for myself I have a 17-85 and a 70-300, but on long trips or hiking trips I have lowered my weight but kept some zoom by purchasing a 17-250 lens which gives decent results, twinned with a 10-22 lens - which I ADORE - I leave the first 2 at home.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby PaulTeolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:07 pm

my advice...
take them all.

I have been to all these regions to photograph and you will use your wide angle a lot, and your zoom once you hit the Atacama for flamingos. The 400mm is perfect.
Make sure you have polarizer filters an a UV.

bring something to clean your lens and sensor, the desert is windy

Just get a comfortable camera bag for your gear and you should be set.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:45 am

Well I can only speak to Peru. I found I used my 16-85vr about 95% of the time. I used my 70-300vr very little. I left my 35mm 1.8 at home. The landscapes favoured the wider lenses. Plus doing the inca trail, I didn't want to carry all that equipment. After doing the inca trail I definitely made the right decision there!

The zoom might come in handy taking pics of people from a distance.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs