Serengeti - Here I come !

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Serengeti - Here I come !

Postby sarahm8 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 am

Hi Everyone,
Just booked East Africa Overland for 10th July 2012 - soooooo excited!!
This is my First Gap Adventure - bit nervous as have never done camping before
or any sort of overland trip or should I say adventure like this before - but thats what
adds to the excitement - its an adventure not just a holiday...
sarahm8
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Serengeti - Here I come !

Postby lesliew » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Welcome! I can totally relate to you - I'm leaving for my first GAP trip next month. I'm also going to the Serengeti (the Tanzanian Wildlife Experience - it's also camping). I've never done anything like this so I am also a little nervous, but reading about others' experiences on this forum has really helped calm any fears I had. I'm ready for my adventure!

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad

Postby sarahm8 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:23 am

Hey Leslie,

Next month? so close to lift off....how exciting...you taked to anyone on here who is going on your
particular trip?...its the fear of the unkown isnt it that makes it scary but also exciting..but i reckon we know its not a 5 star luxury kind of holiday, so as long as you go with an open frame of mind
and be prepared to rough it a little we are going to gain soooo much from it...would love to hear how you get on...x Sarah
sarahm8

Postby Zuleika » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:42 pm

ohmigod - you'll have such an amazzzzing time -my first safari camping trip was to the Masai Mara/serengeti - and suddenly I find I have done 4 more African safari's since then - its wonderful amazing and totally addictive!!! Im warning you - lolol
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby lesliew » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:17 pm

I haven't talked to anyone on my particular trip yet. I posted in the Departure Lounge section, but haven't found anyone on my trip. I will certainly post a trip report on here when I get back and will be happy to share my experience with you. I got the last of my vaccinations today - it's getting closer! :)

lesliew

Postby sarahm8 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Leslie,
whIch was the worst jab? I am dreading them!
Post another msg in the departure lounge maybe? Must be someone out there going on your trip..
Then again, no one has replied that they are on my trip for 2012 as yet...
Got everything you need now for your trip?
What are you doing about your visa;s? Im sure i read that on arrival in Uganda you get multiple entries to Tanzania & Kenya as well? so Pay for 1 visa to get entry to 3 countries?...hmmmm maybe Zuleika may know the answer.... :D
sarahm8

Postby sarahm8 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi Zuleika,
How many Safari's hahaha you must practically be a expert ! Wow you really love safari's eh....
wonder if you would be able to answer 1 question re Visa - sure i read that the entry visa in Uganda
gives multiple entry and exits into Kenya & Tanzania too...? So I will obviously check with the embassy but did you get the 1 visa or pay for 3 seperate? hmmmm? :shock: Ps glad you have done so many Safari's - i wont worry about being eaten alive over there then by tetsi flies...
sarahm8

Postby rrjz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey - I am also new to Gap, I am doing this trip (East Africa Overland) in January 2012. I am also very excited.
I have found all these forums awesome for information. Everyone is full of information and always willing to share the their experience. Once I get back I will be posting my feedback and trip experiences to share with everyone. I haven't been able to find much information about this trip so far but lots of general information about Africa. That has helped me alot. I think I am going to get all my Visa's while in Africa. From what I have read and understand they are fairly inexpensive to get at the borders. I am interested in Zuleika's response about the Visa's, I may change my mind. lol I still have to go to the travel doctor for my shots.
I am going to post my trip in the January Lounge soon but haven't yet. Hopefully I can find some people that are going at the same time. It was great finding someone that is actually doing the same trip. It seems to sell out but no one seems to post about it. :?
rrjz
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby lesliew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Since I am only visiting one country, I am getting my visa there when I arrive. Everyone has advised me that it is easy to do at the airport. If you are going to multiple countries, then I don't know what is better to do. The vaccines really weren't too bad. I got ALOT because I was not up to date on any vaccines. I got Tetanus, Hepatitis A and B, Polio, MMR (measles), Yellow Fever, Influenza, and Typhoid. I felt like a pin cushion. :lol: The tetanus made my arm really sore, and my second MMR booster stung a bit, but the others were quick and I barely felt them. I took the oral Typhoid vaccine and the combined Hep A and B shot in order to cut down on the number of needles just a bit. It really wasn't as bad as I had imagined (I hate needles) and it was totally worth it for the trip!

lesliew

Postby Zuleika » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:23 pm

Hiya - so sorry - afraid I cant be certain about the 3 in 1 visa question as I did Uganda as separate tour to Kenya and Tanzania. However I can tell you that I purchased all of my visa's at the various borders with no problems whatsoever.
I am however hearing that you still need a single-entry visa for each country but the country of arrival allows you to return to it for a second stay before flying out of the region - but please check this with the various embassies, Im not positive.

As regards tsetse flies - never seen one my whole time in Africa in none of the countries and on none of the tours! yay!

PS my fav country in Africa is Uganda - its awesome!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Return to New Members