Trekking Mont Blanc

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Trekking Mont Blanc

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:54 pm

pamela8488 wrote:Hi everyone! I am booked for the 2nd July tour trekking Mont Blanc!

Be sure to check the July Departure Lounge where your fellow travelers will be looking for you. If you don't see your trip listed, go ahead and add it so the others can find you before the trip.

Buen viaje!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby simray » Wed May 18, 2011 1:04 am

Hi All,

I'm doing the Mont Blanc trek on July 21 departure. A couple of questions:

1) I have a 65 or 70l pack, with a smaller day pack. I needed the bigger pack as I am travelling for 6 months total. I'm not sure the size of the smaller pack but I'm guessing it is under 20l (maybe 15-18l?) Which would be the best to use for the trek?

2) How important are hiking poles? Do you need two? Maybe that's a stupid question, but I'm trying to avoid items that I don't want to interfere with my travels before and after Mont Blanc trek.

3) I was planning on walking in Brooks off-road runners. Can anyone explain whether they are definitely a bad idea? I'd prefer them to boots only because they offer more flexibility for other activities during my trip, but if boots are going to make my trek a happier experience I'd like to know.

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Sarah
simray
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby pamela8488 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:52 am

Do we need a sleeping bag for this trip? On the list of things to take with you on the trek it says a sleep sheet but no mention of a sleeping bag and i would have thought wed have to take our own?
pamela8488
User Rank: Weekender

Postby simray » Sun May 22, 2011 7:51 pm

pamela8488 wrote:Do we need a sleeping bag for this trip? On the list of things to take with you on the trek it says a sleep sheet but no mention of a sleeping bag and i would have thought wed have to take our own?

I understand that each night you have access to blankets. Generally sleeping bags are discouraged at much accommodation across Europe as it encourages transferral of bed bugs. Plus it is extra weight when you're walking. A silk sleep insert is meant to be the best - cool in summer, warm in winter.
simray

Postby pamela8488 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 am

great, thanks i just wanted to double check. im happier not taking one :)
pamela8488

Postby cfulton » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Footwear for Mont Blanc?
Hi, I'm booked for the July 2nd tour and wondering from those with experience would you recommend boots or can I do the tour in trail runners? I would prefer to go with light-weight runners but is snow crossing a significant concern and thus requiring boots?
Cheers.
cfulton

Postby evets » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:07 am

Seems like everyone's talking about the Mont Blanc "Trekking" which for me seems a little too extreme. The number two Mont Blanc "Explorer" is the less strenuous of the two tours, and I was wondering if anyone has taken that tour and what their comments are? Obviously the views, etc. wouldn't be as spectacular as the more strenuous trek, but I'm hoping it still offers some great scenery?
evets

Postby superrando » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Hey Everyone, I'm heading out for the September 1 trek to Mont Blanc, who's inski?
superrando

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:14 am

superrando wrote:Hey Everyone, I'm heading out for the September 1 trek to Mont Blanc, who's inski?

To find your fellow travelers, check the September Departure Lounge here at the Watering Hole. If your trip is not listed, add it so the others can find you.

Buen viaje!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Re: death wish

Postby sableasy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:54 am

Tall Paul wrote:As far as moutnaineering, it seems GAP doesn't cater to the death wish set, just yet. :lol:
Ooooh, yes they do! I don't know whether they meant to, but they did. Trek The Carpathians http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/trek ... EATC/2011/ had a rock-climber as the CEO. Day 4:
Today is dedicated to trekking in Piatra Craiului (The King’s Rock) National Park - one of the most beautiful mountains in Romania. The Park is very rocky, consisting of a thin high limestone strip, 22 km long, which is considered to is so unusual that it is considered to be a geographical accident of the Southern Carpathians. It is also home of The Carpathian Large Carnivore Project, as, although the Romanian Carpathians cover less than 1.5% of the European surface west of Russia, they are home to almost one third of all European large carnivores: The authorities estimate that the number of bears is over 6,000, that there are about 3,000 wolves, and some 2,000 lynx.

In the evening we return to Magura village where we will find our dinner and accommodation.

Today's walking is approximately 5-6 hours trekking, 1100m climb, 900m descent

tts wrote:With exposure I mean, even though I don't have a fear of hights, I don't feel comfortable scrambling up exposed slopes with a sheer drop down right next to me.
That right there? That's what it had. We climbed "Little Rock" from the col WNW of it at 45.552615N, 25.258985E and it was a bad place to dislike exposure. I cope with the rock-climbing. It's the standing up and walking along the path level with the treetops to my right that's unnerving.

These links may work:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2 ... 5,0.038238
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2 ... 8,0.019119
sableasy

Postby sableasy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:07 am

simray wrote:2) How important are hiking poles? Do you need two? Maybe that's a stupid question, but I'm trying to avoid items that I don't want to interfere with my travels before and after Mont Blanc trek.
Most of the time they're a couple of lightweight things strapped to your pack. Then you come to the bog-hopping section in the Dales or the sloping-and-slippery-wet-limestone-slab-overhanging-a-gorge-hopping bit if you're with Andrei in Romania and being able to pole-vault helps or you come to a tricky downhill and it's good to have something that can lean on that tiny bit of rock there and take part of your weight.

"Sticks don't count as hand-holds. They break off and come with you."
"I'm hardly holding onto it, so it's alright."
"..."
*slip*snap* "Argh!" *thud*slither*
"I told you sticks don't count."

They're also really good on the long downhills, however easy the terrain, because they let you take some of the load off your legs. If you've got bad knees or something like that, they make a world of difference: +50% speed, -90% pain, +300% enjoyment. It keeps your hands active, too.

One more use for them that I've never exploited: you can strap a pair of them to a broken leg to immobilise the fracture while you carry the casualty down to a helevac point.

On boots: I haven't done Mont Blanc but I've walked a lot in a range of places, and I take stiff-soled hiking boots with good ankle support for hiking and softer-soled walking boots with some ankle support for the rest of the trip simply because that's what's comfortable for me. Two pairs of footwear is a good idea because hiking gets your feet mucky. I used to wear leather for hiking, but have decided I like the breathable ones better, even though they offer less armour against rolling scree. So far, I've never been hurt below the calf while wearing proper boots but have been with people who had trouble because they weren't wearing them. Especially in snow, waterproof boots sound like a very good idea. Freezing wet feet are a downer. What you wear the rest of the time is entirely up to you.
sableasy

Postby jeniferselly » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 am

Hi,
I get more information from this post,thanking you to give this beautiful post.
jeniferselly

Postby themat21 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:40 am

Bonjour!

Took my breath away as well! My sister and I are going on this adventure this July. Can't wait! I will be reading up on travel tips for trekkers and getting a big bag so I can bring my camera. I must take a lot of pictures of Mt Blanc. What a beauty!

Salut,
T. from Canada
themat21

Postby glennandsteph » Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Hey Mat when you are your sister doing the hike?

My wife, friend, and I are trekking mont blanc July 18th, 2012. Were from Sudbury and Toronto, ON.
glennandsteph

Postby hexacat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:23 am

Greetings fellow TMB trekkers...

I am booked for the 13-Sept trip. I am wondering since this is the last TMB trek on the docket for 2012, if winter weather is more likely to occur. I realize that any type of weather can be expected at elevation but since this is on the cusp of the season what to expect (and prepare for). thanks in advance.
hexacat

PreviousNext

Return to Europe