Dress in Bali

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Dress in Bali

Postby rcampol » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:22 pm

I was reading about the need to dress modestly while traveling in Asia. Does anyone know, for Bali specifically, if that applies i.e. no tank tops, no shorts above the knee, must wear 1 piece bathingsuits, etc.? I understand the need to pack a long skirt or pants for temple visits, but wasn't sure about the general dress code?

Robyn
rcampol
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Dress in Bali

Postby desiree2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:37 am

In the tourist areas, it appears that anything is acceptable (not saying that I agree with people wearing just their swimmers down the street). Tank tops and shorts would be almost considered formal wear :shock: .
Temples do require you to cover up.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby jloatgap » Wed May 18, 2011 5:31 pm

hahaha @desiree2.
While "Dressing modestly" is suggested in Asia, South-East Asia is quite different since it's tropical. If your trip is anywhere remotely touristy or near beaches, it's safe to say dress however you like. Have fun!
jloatgap
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby sophbl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:33 pm

I was really worried about this when I went but its really fine, its quite a touristy place. Personally I would say mix and match ie if your wearing a pair of shorts wear a modest t-shirt (not showing cleavage etc) or if your wearing a vest wear long trousers. I packed really conservatively but then regretted it as everyone else on my tour had just bought normal holiday clothes and I had nothing nice to wear.
sophbl

Return to Asia