help needed from expeirenced travelers

Introduce yourself to other G Adventures forum members.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

help needed from expeirenced travelers

Postby tdot_445 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:54 pm

hello there. im 21 year old female, doing the dunes deltas and falls trip the may, was wondering if people have been to capetown before? need some opinions of what it really is like. should i hide inside the hotel, lol i know il get a feel for things when i get there but just wondering if someone has been before

also was wondering about clothes to wear if anyone has any cool tips or tricks, it says to bring t shirts. 1 pair of short n 2 pants......but was wondering if anyone has more details,

this is my first trip, let alone im doing it alone and would appreciate as much info as possible

has anyone been on this trip before? cuz i would love to be able to chat with u more
thanks so much....tabitha
tdot_445
User Rank: Traveller

Re: help needed from expeirenced travelers

Postby Zuleika » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I found Cape town to be fine, but just be careful as you would in any big city and the usual common sense applies. I took taxi's everywhere I needed to go, ask the hotel to organise this for you. Dont walk around on your own after dark though as I hear that can be dodgy. Its a lovely beautiful city - go and explore.

As far as clothing, the first thing is - its going to get dirty! I took one decent outfit to wear in the city on nights out and then the rest was older clothes that I didnt mind getting dirty. Take something warm - as although lovely and warm during the day, it was really pretty cold at night down south, May is Autumn/ coming into South African winter, but as you travel north it gets warmer. One night I slept in my long thermals, pj's and fleece!

On my feet I wore sports sandals nearly all the way but had some trainers and flipflops were useful for the showers.
Mind your camera in Namibian Sossusvlei if its windy - especially the motorised compacts - 2 people broke theirs on the same day, as sand got into the mechanism.
Take full waterproofs in case it rains.

Cant think of anything else right now but hope this helps!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby georginal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:22 am

I have been to Cape Town three on three separate occassions now, (4 if you count it as a starting and finishing point for the same trip) the first was as part of a couple then the second and third times were as a single female travelling alone.

Cape Town is a lively, vibrant ciy.Definately don't hide away in your hotel, get out and about.
It IS safe to walk about alone in the day time. You will look like a tourist whatever you wear, but remember if you go about in shorts, t shirt with a rucksack on your back you are very obviously one. Instead, I'd go for jeans t shirt, fleece and handbag look and be confident. Expect people to come up and talk to you, say hello back, but still be on your guard . Some may try and rip you off, some are merely just interested to talk. Like anywhere, if they ask for money, which some will, don't give it to them.

Remember table mountain can get snow on it during their winter, so pack another warm layer for Cape Town. I have walked around Cape Town at night tho this was only around Long St and areas where there are lots of people around. I wouldn't though use Atm at night time. although there are some cafes and backpacker places that do have ATM's inside, which is fine. Just use your brains and treat it like any strange city, but CT, you can very definately get out and a bout more than other cities in Africa.

There is virtually no public transport in Cape Town aside from a a few buses, and the train that takes you out of the city and finishes at about 7pm anyway. Instead there is quite a good Taxi system. You can get a cab (by yourself) which is metered or non-metered. I have learnt to favour the mini bus taxi system because its cheaper and usually therefore safer. You will understand more when you see them, but basically its a mini bus with a driver and another person that collects money and the people. they cram in as many people as possible. Its a good way of travelling locally when you get your head around it. Just don't carry all you passport, money and cards on you, cos it can get a little like sardines in there!

Enjoy Ct, make the most of it while you are there.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby tdot_445 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:25 pm

thanks both for all the info, it really helped and made me more poor lol cuz i just went and changed my flight a few days early so now i have 4 days 3 nights in capetown before the tour starts!! hahah but im excited and glad, cuz i would have gotten there and wished i got there way earlier.
tdot_445

Return to New Members