Antarctica

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Antarctica

Postby grisenova » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:57 pm

My husband and I are 'crossing the circle' Dec 2011 to Jan 2012: would anyone who has previously made this journey like to comment on their experience. Can only imagine how wonderful it will be. The many photographs reinforce the beauty of Antarctica.
grisenova
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Antarctica Dec 21st 2011 - Jan 3rd 2012

Postby heffelmire » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:37 pm

I found some really great books on Amazon - including a sea map covering the Drake Passage. Really looking forward to the trip.

Eric and Family
heffelmire

Re: Antarctica Dec 21st 2011 - Jan 3rd 2012

Postby azzastan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:53 am

Myself and my friend Kim are also on this expedition. We both did the 'Realm of the polar bear' expedition in Svalbard/Spitsbergen about two years ago. They operate a really freat tour, so thats why we are returning customers. One of the girls from our tour did Antarcica with gadventures last year, had the best time. Apart from the 45ft waves for 24hrs when crossing the drake passage. But who knows what we will encounter! Hopefully nothing but good weather! Where is everyone staying in Ushuaia? We are about to start looking.... I think we are there for 3 nights prior to the expedition. If anyone wants to meet up before the tour let me know. I'm from Melbourne Australia and Kim is from Chicago, Il.
azzastan
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Antarctica

Postby PaulTeolis » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:38 pm

been twice to photograph...during the months of february and march
amazing experience, you will probably have more baby penguin hatching action this time of year
than when I was there. BUt it is sensory overload...

the ship is great, comfortable, wonderful food...the whole experience on land is hard to describe but is awe inspiring. The crossing of the drake is up to mother nature, it can either be Drake Lake (calm) or huge waves. Best to prepare if you have not experienced sea sickness before. I used the scopalomine patch and was fine...gravol works for some as well.

Have a wonderful life changing experience.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby wattsed » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:27 am

Should'nt the heading read December 2012 to January 2013 rather than December 2011 to January 2012? The dates posted have already passed but the current posts are the current dates :oops:
wattsed
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:57 pm

It looks to me like azzastan just missed the fact that the original post referred to a past trip and you're continuing to revive the zombie. ;)
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic