How many get their own room?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: How many get their own room?

Postby georginal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:03 pm

I'm with Zuleika on this one. My my Cape Town to Nairobi trip (just finished last week) I ended up being the odd one out by default. The first day I must have been asleep in the truck when partners were decided, so ended up by myself until Windhoek. Then I had a partner that joined the trip for about 10 days, but she left the group at Livingstone. At Livingstone I invited another girl to share with me, but when we got to Malawi, I was really sick (just a 48 hour thing going around) so she very kindly moved out to give me some space. After that the only other time I had to share was in Zanzibar.

So out of a 40 day trip, I only had to share for about 2 weeks. I actually found it easier to put the tent up and down by myself, as then I didn't have to wait for anyone - just got on with it, they're easy enough.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jessiainscough » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:35 am

On both the trips i've been on i've shared and been very lucky with great roommates. If you're a bit shy it's a great way of meeting someone right off the bat!

And if you're on an overland trip and sleeping in tents, if you snore loudly everyone will hear you - on my trip there was one guy who snored like a train and no matter where you placed your tent, you would hear it! Thank goodness my tent mate had bought a massive pack of ear plugs, or I wouldn't have slept the whole trip!
jessiainscough
User Rank: Traveller

Postby AdamfromCanada » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Zuleika wrote:Following up - I had my own tent on my recent African overland safari, by default as another girl had booked to be on her own. I actually really quite liked it, I had a smaller tent than the rest (I was well cosy!) and after a few tries was able to put it up and down by myself just as quickly as the couples, or often the other single girl and I would help each other and camp next to each other - we became good friends.

Now I have just booked a trip to Turkey (with the same new friend from Africa!!!) - but with another tour operator I admit, and they give a 10% discount for a frequent customer which I am now entitled to, so the saving I have made with this has enabled me to purchase the single supplement at not much extra cost - yay.
I will see how I get on with being by myself on a night!!! Having been someone who always really liked to share - I may never want to go back to it!!! LOL! :lol:

I booked a single supplement on my last tour, just because I felt the tour was such a good deal, that it would be nice to have a tent to myself. It worked out well. There was another solo guy who didn't mind at all that he was given his own space. Sometimes it's nice to be able to spread out.

That said, I've had roommates on tours before and never had a problem.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby courts09 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:35 am

I was the last person to book on my trip and due to the other arrangements (couples, other people booking single rooms, odd number etc) I had a room to myself (didn't book the single supplement) for pretty much the whole trip until the last night when there were new people joining to continue on with the tour. Most of the time I still got twin rooms and I would have had no problems sharing with someone although the extra space to myself and more time to have a shower etc was quite nice.

Stories and tips from SE Asia and beyond http://madtotravel.wordpress.com/
courts09

Postby Fieter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 am

hi everyone!

Untill a few years ago I always shared rooms and never had any problems. A few years ago I took the Moroccon tour and since the single supplement wasn't too much (and I had had a rough year), I decided to treat myself and off course, now I'm hooked... I do snore (yes, I'm a woman and I snore... hm...so proud) and sometimes need to get up at night to go to the bathroom... but it's not just a case of being considerate (it does play)... it's also nice to have a place to yourself if you want, read as long as you want, have the bathroom to yourself etc... I think it's also nice for me because I'm not a native English speaker, and that gives me the opportunity to 'switch off my translator'.. :lol:
And as someone else mentioned on this thread, I sometimes tend to stay up (late) with others as well, so I don't miss out! ;-)
My two cents...
Sophie
Fieter
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Collette » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:42 pm

I love sharing a room and meeting new people. However, I'm a light sleeper, and being with a snorer can really ruin things for me. I purchased sleep phones, which work really well if the snorer isn't crazy loud. You plug it into your ipod and listen to whatever you set it up for (I like just white noise). Sleep phones are like pajamas for your ears!

http://www.sleepphones.com/
Collette
User Rank: Nomad

Postby leahlovestravel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:40 am

I usually choose my own room as it is my comfort zone. I recharge better when I get a little space to myself and I also worry my own habits might be bothersome to others...do I snore?? etc. My next trip coming up this May I won't have the own room option for parts of it so I'm looking at it as a good growing experience for myself.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel

Postby ava10@btinternet.com » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:25 am

:D Im so pleased I trawled through these posts!

Im just embarking on my first group trip in 20 days and counting!! I've elected to share a room and am looking forward to making new friends and sharing my experiences with someone.

ALL my friends and family think I'm nuts! Sharing a room - what if you dont like them? What if they snore or have other "bad" habits! Well I'm hoping that I dont have any of these traits and that I can be tolerant of those who are not exactly my fit!

Like many have said I think that getting up early and going to bed late (Drinking time allowing lol) will ensure that I'm out like a light and probably snoring like a train :lol:

I will take a couple of pairs of foam ear plugs now I think just to be considerate to my roomy ( I really dont know if I do snore - my ex roomy could snore for England and could be heard downstairs! So I should feel quiet at home with a snorer!) :lol: :lol:

I think it will be all part of the experience and am looking at it that way - for now!! Update on return :wink:
ava10@btinternet.com
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Previous

Return to Off-topic