Earth Month 2010 - Ideas for Saving Water?

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

Earth Month 2010 - Ideas for Saving Water?

Postby Reditor » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Today is World Water Day, and Earth Month is right around the corner!

We're curious here at Gap Adventures - what are you doing to conserve water? Any ingenious, quirky, weird or bizarre stories out there? Who has the best tips on water saving?
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Earth Month 2010 - Ideas for Saving Water?

Postby jimshu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Shower with a friend. :wink:
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby JaliscoJudy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Try this: Turn off the water to your house and haul all your domestic water in containers that you can carry yourself from a delivery service or your own vehicle. I mean ALL your water -- for flushing toilets, washing dishes, taking baths, and for drinking and cooking. Do this for a week, a month, or however long you can stand. You will quickly adapt to using very little water for tasks that used to add up to 50+ gallons a day per person in your household.

If it´s not practical to try this at home, be observant when you travel to countries where people don´t have water to waste. We can learn a lot from people who must conserve. In Mexico, I was humbled to observe how comparatively little water people used to accomplish things like washing dishes or mopping the floor.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby jimshu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Very true and good ideas there Judy.We tend to take things for granted.
In Ulaan Bataar capital of Mongolia the average water use per person per day is 6 litres.!!!That's all your drinking, cooking andwashing water.
In contrast our Mayor points out water useage here is 750 litres .We have a lot of gardens needing water during our dry summers.
So when we built our house,I did away with having a front lawn.Dropped 5 truck loads of rocks on it and planted in desert plants from South Africa,Australia and Central America.No watering.If they don't survive, they don't get replanted.Word got back to me from neighbours that they thought I was mad when the rocks went on.Yeah, had a similar thought myself.
But after it was finished, we won an award for best new house from the front.
I think I'll start a group to set out to ban lawns!
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby TravelFun » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Turn the tap OFF when you brush your teeth, it doesn't need to be running continuously...my nieces now tell their mother to do this.

I do this all the time...and we should be conserving water, energy etc as much as we can and not just for one day!

:P
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby bosquevillage » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Composting toilets are fantastic. Something like 40% of household water goes down the toilet and then has to get piped off to be processed. At our place in Mexico, we only use composting toilets.
"The Humanure Handbook" is a great book on this and I think old editions are free online.

Saunas are also great since you can sit in there, then take a short shower and be far cleaner.
bosquevillage
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby georginal » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 pm

hand wash instead of machine wash - as in clothing!! (and if you must machine wash, make sure you don't overload it on the washing powder front, you need less than half of the washing powder that it says on the box unless your things are really dirty, or you've got young kids - honest, try it). Then don't put on half washes, always make sure its a full load.

If you have it, always flush the toilet using the half flush option rather than the full one unless you really need it(Lol)
My two pence worth anyway.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby eddyb49 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Favour off the h2o to your house and drag all your servant installation in containers that you can feature yourself from a delivery operate or your own container. I impart ALL your food -- for flushing toilets, lavation dishes, taking baths, and for imbibition and preparation. Do this for a hebdomad, a period, or nevertheless longstanding you can standpoint. You faculty quick change to using rattling slight installation for tasks that utilised to add up to 50+ gallons a day per being in your house.

If it´s not serviceable to try this at lodging, be observant when you length to countries where grouping don´t possess nutrient to drop. We can learn a lot from grouping who moldiness husband. In Mexico, I was humbled to keep how comparatively short thing people used to fulfil things equal washing dishes or scrub the story.
Eddy Bobe
eddyb49

Postby JaliscoJudy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 am

eddyb49 wrote:Favour off the h2o to your house and drag all your servant installation in containers that you can feature yourself from a delivery operate or your own container. I impart ALL your food -- for flushing toilets, lavation dishes, taking baths, and for imbibition and preparation. Do this for a hebdomad, a period, or nevertheless longstanding you can standpoint. You faculty quick change to using rattling slight installation for tasks that utilised to add up to 50+ gallons a day per being in your house.

If it´s not serviceable to try this at lodging, be observant when you length to countries where grouping don´t possess nutrient to drop. We can learn a lot from grouping who moldiness husband. In Mexico, I was humbled to keep how comparatively short thing people used to fulfil things equal washing dishes or scrub the story.

Hi eddyb49. I don't understand all of your post, which obviously wen through a translation program. I do agree 100% with you though about how little water they use in Mexico for things like doing laundry, washing dishes and mopping the floor. We could all take a lesson from them!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:12 pm

georginal wrote:hand wash instead of machine wash - as in clothing!! (and if you must machine wash, make sure you don't overload it on the washing powder front, you need less than half of the washing powder that it says on the box unless your things are really dirty, or you've got young kids - honest, try it). Then don't put on half washes, always make sure its a full load.

I always do full loads so I'm pretty sure I use less water doing machine wash than I would with hand washing. I've done hand washing while camping and traveling and I think I generally use more water while handwashing than my machine does (comparing full load with equivalent hand washing).
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel