New Years in Australia

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

New Years in Australia

Postby sarahprins » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Hello, I am going to be in Austrailia for New Years and trying to find a good place to celebrate. Does anyone have any ideas??
sarahprins
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: New Years in Australia

Postby Felicityl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:13 pm

Where abouts are you going to be??? East coast?? west coast?? New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria??? If you can narrow it down to a state I might be able to help you out a bit more. :lol:
Felicity - GAP
Felicityl

Postby Logan_e138 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:38 pm

hey there. sarah and i will be on the east coast. somewhere between sydney to brisbane. we're debating weather we want to spend it in a city, like surfers or brisbane. or go to a smaller town like byron. we may also be taking a detour to melbourne before heading north out of sydney. im just worried that a big city might be crowded and expensive. but we want to know cause im sure a room will have to be booked ahead of time for new years.

any thoughts would be nice. thanks!

(p.s. to sarah - hi babe!)
Logan_e138
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby janine7j » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi!

I am going to be in Australia for Xmas and New Year so would be quite interested to see a response to this!
I was planning to be in Sydney but as yet have not got any accomodation or anything booked and I think it is quite hard to get somewhere now? so would love some suggestions too??

Thanks! x
janine7j

Postby c2moore » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Hey, if you're going to be in Sydney for NY, I highly recommend heading down to the harbour to see the bridge light up with fireworks. It's spectacular!!
c2moore

Postby kew » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:22 am

I'm an Australian resident and my advice would be that the major cities are great places to spend New Years but that accommodation can be very expensive at this time of the year. You might want to consider booking further out from the city center and taking public transport into the city, I know that both Melbourne and Sydney offer extra services on New Years Eve. Otherwise I would suggest doing what many Australians do and booking accommodation in one of the towns along the coast. Many of these towns organise their own New Years celebrations which include fireworks on the foreshore. This is generally a cheaper option than going into the cities and has a great, relaxed beach atmosphere, however, it may be difficult to find accommodation this late in the year too. So my advice is too look around and see what is out there, but don't limit yourselves to the major cities.
kew

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific