How do you pay for all this???

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How do you pay for all this???

Postby hopeful55 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:00 am

Hello everyone! I havent traveled yet, but I'm hoping to once I can find the money... which is the point of this topic! I'm only 18 years old, jobless, still living with parents, so its easy to see how a young, naive person like me would ask such a question... "How do you pay for all this???"

I read many posts, and it looks like some of you travel ALOT! How does a noob like me begin such a grand adventure? Once I get a job, does that mean I have to quit once I go on my first trip, and once I come back, find a new job so I can pay for the next? Is it worth it? Thank you so much for any input!
hopeful55
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: How do you pay for all this???

Postby casey_mai » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:27 am

Hi! Personally, im still at uni so i do part time and full time (when i can) telemarketing! Yeh its as bad as it sounds, but totes worth it when it gets you overseas again. once i have enough money ill go away for as long as it allows, spend it all, then start the process again.
casey_mai

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:28 am

Now that's a loaded question!

There's probably an infinite number of ways to answer that question because everyone's situation will be unique, some with jobs, some without, some with lots of vacation time, others with none, etc. And while travel costs may seem overwhelming at first, I've found that the limiting factor to me has always been getting the time off, not the money. Don't get me wrong, traveling can be expensive, but I consider it a hobby and an investment, something I can save for and then splurge on. Other people buy fancy clothes and electronics, go out clubbing every weekend, or spend X amount on double lattes every morning. I pinch at home so I can spend it on the road.

I've also been fortunate to travel for work, which nets me frequent flyer miles, which I can then use to go on vacation and save on flight expenses. Half the battle is getting to your destination, after that you may find that expenses are no different (or even better) than back home!

So here are some options:
a) Become a corporate tool, work your 9 to 5 and save your pennies, take a nice 2 week vacation somewhere exotic every year.
b) Become a vagabond and roam the globe washing dishes, waiting tables, living day to day.
c) Marry rich.
d) Join the Peace Corp
e) Join the military.
f) None of the above, or somewhere in between.

Good luck!

P.S. I fall into the "corporate tool" category, such is life.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby sinecure » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:31 pm

Start small. Take a trip somewhere cheap, like Thailand or some parts of South America. These can help extend your budget as well as helping see where you can save money. Do you really need the 4 star hotel? Taxi vs. tuktuk, etc...
sinecure

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:09 pm

1. Determine your priorities in life.
2. Set goals and work toward them.
3. Save up for what you want.

If you want to travel a lot, look into jobs that involve that travel and prepare yourself to be competitive for those jobs (e.g., study international relations, international finance, foreign languages, etc.) -or- plan and prepare to get yourself in a job that pays well enough to afford these trips on your own.

In my case, most of my travel for 20 years was for work and I have only begun to do adventure trips on my own relatively recently. I burned all my saved vacation time last summer to do a few trips-of-a-lifetime and am now burning the vacation I've earned the past year to go on my next trip. I am also burning quite a bit of savings but it's a dream trip AND I'm not taking any risk financially in burning those savings for this.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jimshu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8061&p=33257&hilit=coffee#p33040

A few hints there.

Boils down to the 4 'P's IMO.
Prioritise.Prudence.Patience.Planning.

Prioritise.
Many people will earn big , but still won't consider travel apart from the annual 2 weeks holiday.
So if you want to be a real traveller, you need to put travel at the top of your list, and all things flow from that.

Prudence. You always live your lifestyle at a level that allows for you to save continuously.Many people, scratching to get by on there wages,given a salary increase, just spend more, rather than maintaining their current lifestyle and putting the extra into a savings plan.Some prudence hints in the link above.

Patience.Time is your greatest ally if you have a savings plan in place as it builds up over time.

Planning.
All the above provide your plan.

There is another way of travelling cheaply,and I was going to blog on it and it's all about yourself having skills that you can earn from as you travel around. In Edinburgh last month I watched a guy performing and he was so good I stuck 5 Pounds in his jacket on the ground.Spoke to him later, and he told me he's travelled 17 countries so far, working his way around off what that jacket collects.
An amazing story will get told.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby hopeful55 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks everyone! This information is invaluable! I hope to travel as soon as I can. All this info was like missing puzzle to travelling, because I was wondering how it could be possible. But at least now I have an idea.

Thank you all agian! Happy travels to you guys :)
hopeful55

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 am

You can also watch the last-minute discounts! Check out the main page here on GAP and you'll see discounted tours. If your vacation is somewhat flexible then you can book tours leaving in under two months or so and save a lot of money. If you haven't been anywhere then it doesn't matter where you start...so start with the 25-50% off places :wink:

And, I work with someone who only has three weeks holidays a year. He guts it out and saves it all for a big trip every two years. That gives him time to save the money as well as giving him six weeks to work with when he does go. In between he uses long weekends as his sustenance vacations!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby georginal » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:30 am

Persoally I worked for 10 years in a super stressful job before I did my first trip - you don't have to do it all straightaway! Then jacked the job. Then tried to go back to work full time and lasted 2 years. Then got a good tenant in my flat now, thank goodness, and now take live-in jobs in the summer - campsite work normally in Europe, and travel in the winter.

You could always just have a look at what Working Visa's you can get - places like UK, Australia, NZ, Canada & USA are OK with working Holiday Visa's if your between 18-30, but you would have to find some sort of funds before you go - and also a years work experience is worth having before you go anywhere.

Loads of people go off for a year or two without having a job to come back to.
Good luck wherever you decide to go to.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:50 pm

I know quite a few of young people who are moving from one country to another teaching English. If you're not going to college straight away, this might be an option for you. The pay is not much (understatement), but it's enough to live frugally in another country. If you have some savings to supplement your wages, you are really set. A great thing to do for a gap year IMO. (Wish I had known about this at your age.)

All the English teachers I know here in Ecuador travel a lot using public transportation and staying in hostels (very cheap). One woman I know spent 3 years here and is now teaching English to corporate types in Santiago, Chile while she explores that country. If you have language skills and this appeals to you, check into a TEFL certification program. They are usually intensive (understatement) 30-day programs. There are several in Mexico, which can turn into a trip on its own. I did mine in Guadalajara (good program), and I looked at the one in Playa del Carmen (resort on the Mexico carribbean) that looked like a lot of fun.

There are many ways to make a life. It's good that you are thinking about it so that you get the one you want.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby hopeful55 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 am

You know, I just looked at the TEFL website, and I think thats it! Everything you said is kinda how I wanted to do it... I mean, I never thought me knowing english would help me get a job! And looking at the people, and videos, it seems so rewarding. Plus, I'll be able to travel! I always wanted to be a teacher too. Thank you, this is like perfect for me! Though it costs kinda alot, but I think I'll find a way... I started recycling, and gathering books I dont read to sell. :D Luckily I dont have anything to pay off, as I'm still living a comfortable life with my parents for free..

I wonder, are there any certification progams in California? What is the best course of action if I do decide to do this? I feel kinda excited because this seems more like a reality now.
hopeful55

Postby jimshu » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Touch not a cat bot a glove....
Clan motto.
Can mean, don't get your hopes up too high, and cover your backside by having an alternative plan....
If Plan A doesn't work out, move on to Plan B.
But seriously, English teaching around the world is a viable way of travelling and no-one better to help advise you than Judy.It'll be a good goal to set in life and skills you can build.
BTW , have a look at honing your English skills by starting your own free web blog. You may be setting out on a lifestyle that would be very interesting. Then you can be as good at English as she is spoke, just like me! :D
And having your own blogsite is becoming the new CV or Resume'.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby hopeful55 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Good points Jimshu! However, I'm a native english speaker, so I think my skills are alright LOL. But blogging sounds very interesting.. How do you blog? O.o lol
hopeful55

Postby lisaj76 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi hopeful...I started my travelling by doing semester exchanges in university. During my undergrad I studied for a semester in England, and was able to travel to France, Belgium, Sweden, the Netherlands, and Scotland. When I was in law school, I did a semester in Australia - where I again had the opportunity to travel all around Australia and to Bali. In both cases, I paid tuition to my home school, although I was responsible for my flight and living expenses overseas. I worked part-time to save money for my trips, but I did also take out a student line of credit when I went to Australia. It was SO worth it!!! Now, I work and save up to take vacations when I can get them. I really recommend looking into student exchanges - a great way to see the world :) Good luck!
lisaj76

Postby jimshu » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 am

Blogging is a whole new world and a huge lot of fun.But if you're setting out now, think about it as a tool to achieve your English teaching goal.Your blog online can be where you can load up your original work for prospective employers to see.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Next

Return to Travel Tips