Weather in NZ

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Weather in NZ

Postby dancem30 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm traveling to NZ at the end of Dec through January. I'm going to be going to North and South Island - going as far south as Milford Sound. Can anyone advise on weather/clothing? I've read some other posts about the South Island being cold, even in December/Jan.

Thanks!
Diane
dancem30
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Weather in NZ

Postby Zuleika » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi Diane - I found the weather to be quite changeable at that time of year - sometimes it was lovely and warm, pretty hot even especially in the north, but sometimes it was rainy and a little cold - more so down south. Take some layers would be my advice, perhaps a sweater or lightweight fleece and a raincoat, but I dont think you will need a full on winter coat!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Jewly » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi Diane,

I was in NZ for the month of January 2010 and packed everything from a bathing suit to winter coat with hat/mitts. It rained for 2 of the weeks that I was there, and I found it to be a lot cooler compared to our summers in Toronto. You probably won't need the true winter gear unless you plan on doing the Tongrairo crossing and/or ice climbing at Franz Josef glacier in the south island. Especially in the Milford Sound area it was chilly and rainy--maybe only 12C at times, but this varies.

My boyrfiend is a kiwi and he says that in NZ you can experience all 4 seasons in one day--which is what happened to us on the Tongrario crossing--rainy, cold--wearing thermals, hats, mitts, scarves in the morning then ended up in shorts and a long sleeve shirt in the afternoon. My advice is to dress in layers and keep your rain jacket close.

If you have any other NZ questions do not hesitate to ask.
Julie
Jewly
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jimshu » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:09 pm

All good advice above...4 seasons in one day fairly sums it up for those months.Weather tends to settle down late Jan through to March with long hot spells.But just bear in mind that the southwest of the south Island is one of the wettest places in the world at anytime.
Enjoy our country!
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific