Airline Reputations in OZ / NZ?

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Airline Reputations in OZ / NZ?

Postby Reditor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Just wondering if Jet Star and Virgin Blue have a good reputation or not over there compared to Air New Zealand?

A simple domestic NZ flight is $190 on Air NZ but only $63 on Jet Star. Are there hidden fees, frequent cancellations or misc issues to worry about?
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Airline Reputations in OZ / NZ?

Postby jimshu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Hidden fees, nope because that's against consumer regulations.Must be full disclosure.Buried in the fine print is not acceptable.So what is advertised is what you are entitled to.
AirNZ have an unbeatable reputation.The others operate on main passenger routes so can fill their planes and charge less.AirNZ has to factor in a lot of less profitable air routes.
Having said that,they are very reliable.
I have heard of a few people experiencing major delays with both the others.But in their initial months of setting up.Seems to be good now.
So fair to say, go with who ever is offering the best for the day you want to fly.
If you're flexible then AirNZ Grabaseat is good.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby owena » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:18 am

jimshu wrote:AirNZ have an unbeatable reputation

Good to hear that jimshu - we have recently booked our international flights wtih AirNZ and an internal between Christchurch and Wellington. Price was only a little higher than Virgin Blue and we have no worries about hold baggage.

We have 5 weeks in NZ in February next year and can't wait!
owena
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby jimshu » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:46 am

Wow 5 weeks!Real good that because you can get off the usual 2-3 week tourist trail and go discover some unique places. So what have you planned?
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby Jewly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:18 am

I was in NZ back in January and was also looking into JetStar for my internal flights; however, since I had quite a bit of luggage it ended up costing more than AirNZ as I would have had to pay extra for each piece of luggage and there was no guarantee that I could check 2 pieces of luggage. I was told via phone that it all depends on space--this made my decision for me, as I really needed my luggage to go with me around NZ so I stuck with AirNZ and had no issues. I also like AirNZ as I can get aeroplan miles for all their flights.

I am not sure where you are from, but coming from Toronto, Canada...I found that the NZ summer was quite a bit cooler with way less humidity than our Toronto summers. I had not packed appropriately. My boyfriend is from Wellington and he did mention that it was a cooler and wetter summer than normal, but just something to keep in mind.

Enjoy your vacation!
Jewly
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Reditor » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:45 am

Nice tips everyone!
Ya, I've got my eye on that grabaseat site Jimshu.....
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor

Postby jimshu » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:20 pm

And register here, so every day you get notification of the cheapest flights for any domestic airline for the route you want.
www.seeya.co.nz
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby owena » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:35 am

jimshu wrote:Wow 5 weeks!Real good that because you can get off the usual 2-3 week tourist trail and go discover some unique places. So what have you planned?

I am very lucky - I caught my boss at a very weak moment, asked for 4 weeks and then pushed it to 5! The only thing that we have booked at the moment is to walk the Milford Track and the flight between the islands.

The overall plan is to fly into Christchurch and then pick up a motorhome couple of days later (priced but not booked yet), cross over to the west coast down to Franz Joseph/Fox Glacier, Haast Pass, Queenstown, Te Anau then the track. Back up the easst coast to Christchurch - our friends then fly to the north islands to visit relatives and we have a few days on our own. Plan to go up to Abel Tasman via Hanmer Springs and back to Christchurch via Kaikoura.

We are dropping the motorhome off in Christchurch and then hiring again in Wellington

We havent anything planned for the north island yet but now that we want to go as far to the north as we can. Our flight home is out of Auckland.

It's amazing - even though we have 5 weeks it is going to be full on!!

Any suggestions that Kiwis on the site have, espcially for out of the way places, would be welcome!
owena

Postby jimshu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Catch the train up to Kaikoura then go whale watching.And google seal nursery at Ohau Creek.A little known seal nusery there.Amazing videos on Youtube.
Then train on to Picton and take the ferry across.That is a wonderful crossing on a fine day.
Then plan for a homestay at Kapiti Island .
Google Kapiti Nature lodge.Expensive but very good value.If you do that you could give us a buzz and stop over.Rooms down below.
What date?
Then if you have time plan a trip out to Napier, and the Cape Kidnappers Gannet colony .Take the tractor safari.One of life's great experiences.
Then head through to pick up Rotorua thermal areas.Huge choice of walks.Taupo stay at De Brett's.As they have nice thermal pools.
Photos on my Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=652863280
Send friend request.
Off to Ethiopia tomorrow but will check in as internet allows.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:03 pm

I loved the Bay of Islands on North Island. Sadly, I understand the Cream Ferry is no more ...
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby molly7 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi,
I live in Australia and have just got back from a trip to NZ.
if you have the time, i would suggest travelling on a bus or train around NZ as i found the country side the most beautiful part of the trip. As its not a large country, travel times between destinations are relatively short.
However, if you have to fly AirNZ is definitely the best airline. Jetstar and Virgin Blue are also good (because they are very cheap) but not as nice as AirNZ (which also has a lot better food haha).
Molly
molly7
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby dancem30 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:19 am

Hi!
I was looking at booking some flights through Air New Zealand's grab-a-seat (I read this forum and am a little wary of jetstar). I was going to book the fare where you get a seat + 1 checked bag. Has anyone had a problem with booking this fare in the past? I plan to only travel with my backpack, and a purse. Think I'd be fine doing this and not have any problems?

Thanks!
Diane
dancem30

Postby jimshu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:13 pm

If you can't trust AirNZ you can't trust anyone.The option you are looking at will be cheap and convenient.Grabaseat is just that, book and pay straight away as they're gone in a few hours normally.
Bookmark the site and keep checking it.You need to remember also that they release new offers each morning OUR time, so by the time you on the other side of the world check it, they'll be gone so take time zones into account.

Google Seeya and register there with your preferred route option, and they will email you daily best offers on that flight.
Cheers and enjoy our country!
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby toosh_88 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:50 pm

With both jet star and Virgin blue, you have to be very careful with excess baggage! they will sting you badly if you are evn slightly over! I am from oz and always fry jet star domestically.. and have never had a probelm.. its budget.. so no drinks, tv's etc for free!
toosh_88

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific