Safety - Central America and Mexico

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Safety - Central America and Mexico

Postby kristasis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:23 am

Hi everyone, I am going on the Central America and Mexico trip (JXS) in December. I am just wondering about safety over there and any particular advice anyone has for people going on this trip? Any advice would be great, thanks :) Krista
kristasis
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Safety - Central America and Mexico

Postby kristasis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:28 am

I also forgot to mention, I'm female travelling solo... so any advice would be great :) Thanks.
kristasis

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:55 am

Just looked at the itinerary for this trip. WOW! You are going to have an amazing experience.

As for safety, use common sense knowing that travelers are sometimes targets in tourist areas. Be aware of your surroundings and remember that there is safety in numbers. Take cabs at night. In Mexico City, have your hotel or restaurant call you a cab instead of hailing one on the street. Keep in mind that the vast majority of travelers visit these places with no problems.

As for traveling alont, you can find a wealth of info and advice to solo travelers on this forum. Check out this helpful thread in the Travel Tips forum: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11847

Buen viaje!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby bosquevillage » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:24 pm

We live in Mexico and find the fear people have disturbing. Tourism is very low for no good reason.
Mexico is a quite safe country. Tourists are not the target of the violence. So unless you are a narcotrafficer or in the government, the struggle is not about you. You should likely avoid drugs when traveling in Mexico.
As a woman traveling alone, you should be firm in your rejection of any advances, unless you like them. Foreign women are seen as easy so attract more aggressive men. Say "no" clearly.

You should of course use normal caution. We have hosted hundreds of travelers and some get drunk with new "friends" and then find that their backpack has been stolen. That happens everywhere.
bosquevillage
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby kristasis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Thank you both for your messages. It has been really nice to read that so long as I be responsible and take caution I should be fine :) Thanks again, Krista
kristasis

Postby ballu » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Also keep in mind once you meet up with your group, you'll only be travelling solo when you want to be.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean