How many get their own room?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How many get their own room?

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:45 pm

Just curious as to how many people prefer to book their own room as opposed to sharing? After reading a few posts about annoying people, I'm wondering if I should book my own room for the Inca Empire trip. It's not that I snore, but it might be worthwhile just in case I get a snorer as a roommate. I kinda like the idea of sharing, not just for the cost saving but for the company as well...unless of course you get stuck with someone irritating...

What say ye?
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Re: How many get their own room?

Postby TravelFun » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Ahhhh yes, I've read some posts too.

For most of the group travel I've done I have put my name down to share a room...and to-date I've had great room-mates. The first thing we discuss is our habits so we know what to expect and luckily in certain areas we've been opposites and have actually complemented each other. I'm a night person so sometimes come in later but I'm very very quiet and have never had a complaint. We decide the night before what time we are going to get up to use the bathroom etc..may sound silly but it works. Suppose my worst habit is that I like my bathroom time so I get up early (my personal choice) and ensure its free for when my room-mate wants it.

This way we have no shocks and are honest.

I have chosen my own room a few times but mainly because I just wanted my own space during that time period!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:54 pm

When I was in East Africa, I ended up with my own tent after the second night. My roomie went to bed pretty early and I stayed up late. Getting into a tent a night after drinking a bit, wasn't exactly quiet. Plus I frequently get up at night to go to the bathroom. My own tent worked out better.

When I used GAP for my trip to Spain a few years ago, I didn't have any problems with a roomie, we got along just fine. I wonder, if others select their own room but I don't, I would end up with my own room without encurring the additional fee...ahh what to do?
DanielBMe

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 am

I picked my roommate 20 years ago. He snores and has some other irritating habits, but it hasn't gotten bad enough to make me get my own room yet. :D
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:21 am

Oddly enough, your "roommate" just posted the same thing on a different thread...

:lol:
DanielBMe

Postby Zuleika » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:50 pm

I really like to share - I have made some great friends by sharing, many that I have kept in touch with and some I have even been on several more trips with as we ended up getting on so well. I have only been unlucky once or twice in a roomate. But then I just make the best of it as I didnt want it to ruin my trip.
As regards snoring it doesn't really bother me. I travel to Spain for a hiking trip with a very good friend every year and she sure does snores like a steam train!!! I find I zone into it rather than let it irritate me. Once you let it irritate you, you are lost! And then the more irritable you become the less likely you are to be able to sleep.
Or maybe its that these adventure trips are very tiring so I go out like a light most nights anyway. Bit of alcohol often helps too lol.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby travelmark » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm at a crossroads on this. I realize that I do snore, and don't want to mess up a roomates trip by keeping them awake. I am considerate (and bring earplugs for the roomate), but think it will be best for all if I end up paying the extra to get my own room and not causing undue stress on the rest of the group. Just my two cents.

travelmark
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby DanielBMe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Well at least you are considerate enough to bring ear plugs! I do hope you wash them afterwards though lol
DanielBMe

Postby jimshu » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:14 pm

You have to face up to it, that on these trips it's not like you would get to sleep in each morning.So being on the go all day, and with early starts the norm, you're off to bed and crash into deep sleep so easily.
But snorers need to be aware they may create problems for some, so show consideration by sleeping strips etc.And everyone else, never travel without earplugs.
I never snore.....there's someone beside me whacks me whenever I start to.

So take a chance on sharing.There is a real good chance you will get a room mate that doesn't cause a problem.And on tours we've been on, the sleeping duos have been changed around so everyone gets a chance to be kept awake by the snorer. :lol:
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby voidczech » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:38 pm

On my last trip, I had the "luxury" of having my own tent/room for 3 weeks (less 5 days of upgrades when I shared) .... then shared for the last 10 days ....

A couple things to note:

- When tenting alone, it's no fun setting up and taking down your own tent! Luckily, most days people were willing to help out.
- I think you miss out on "bonding" with someone when you're on you own. I'm very outgoing so I didn't feel ostracized at all ... in fact I made a lot a great friends regardless (I just stayed up later at the camp fires/bars just hanging out, and doing a fair amount of drinking).

Finally about the snoring comments - agreed, not good! When you're in a room with a snorer, that person should be aware and do everything possible to minimize the noise level - this is basic consideration for your roommate. In the case when your tenting, you have more of a responsibility as you are now affecting everyone in the group! Again, on my last trip, it was funny to watch where one guy was setting up his tent ... because everyone waited for him to pick a spot and then moved as far away from him as possible! LOL!

- Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby francine_16 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:55 pm

I have always gone with shared, it was not until I went on a recent trip with GAP that I even realized there was another option. As much as I have had some bizarre roomates- girl with night terrors and an old lady who got up to leave the room by 6am because she did not want to be late for the opening of a museum at 9. I have also had some great ones who I have kept in touch with over the years. To me as much as a bad roommate can drive you a little nutty it should by no means ruin a trip and so it is worth the chance you take for me anyways.
francine_16
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby RichieRich » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:50 pm

I always share a room and haven't had a bad roomate yet. The price alone is enough for most people to go with the share option regardless.

Jimshu brought up a real good point. Every trip I've been on requires you to wake up between 5am and 6am anyway so you're pretty much beat at the end of the night that a train going through the room wouldn't wake you.

Also, I've always found it easy to get along with my roommates as we always have something in common, usually a love for travel.
RichieRich
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby georginal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 am

A couple of years back I did a trip to Morocco with another Tour Operator. There were only two of us that were single females on the trip. The other single female had paid the single supplement, so I got a single room to!! It has to be said she was a little disappointed because some of her rooms on the trip were not quite as good as the twins and doubles, but since that was a hotel trip, I wasn't particularly surprised. I, of course, was quite happy with my freebie single room, even if at times they weren't quite up to scratch!

On one camping trip a few years ago, I did end up with a snorer of a partner, somehow put up with it for a couple of weeks, but it wasn't easy!
georginal

Postby onyx007 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:05 am

Most of the time I shared a room to safe some money. A couple of years ago on a trip, I happend to be the only single traveller on the trip, so I had my own room and I felt it is really comfortable, as I don't stay that long in the room; too much to see and explore.

But it's really great no waiting for the bathroom and much quiter, also some of the hotels I shared with had only one room key so you had to leave the key at reception or stay together the whole time. So for my next trip I booked my own room, but I will probably have to stay in Dorm rooms on my second trip in 2011, so it is somehow a "quit-pro-quo".
onyx007

Postby Zuleika » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:12 am

Following up - I had my own tent on my recent African overland safari, by default as another girl had booked to be on her own. I actually really quite liked it, I had a smaller tent than the rest (I was well cosy!) and after a few tries was able to put it up and down by myself just as quickly as the couples, or often the other single girl and I would help each other and camp next to each other - we became good friends.

Now I have just booked a trip to Turkey (with the same new friend from Africa!!!) - but with another tour operator I admit, and they give a 10% discount for a frequent customer which I am now entitled to, so the saving I have made with this has enabled me to purchase the single supplement at not much extra cost - yay.
I will see how I get on with being by myself on a night!!! Having been someone who always really liked to share - I may never want to go back to it!!! LOL! :lol:
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Next

Return to Off-topic