Malaria Tablets

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Malaria Tablets

Postby hcdownes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:26 am

Hi all,

What is your opinion on taking malaria tablets in China and Thailand?

Mr Doctor told me to buy some over the counter, and when I tried to do so in Boots, they told me I didn't need them for those countries so wouldn't sell me any, but so many other travellers have advised me that I do!

Thanks,

Harriet
hcdownes
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Malaria Tablets

Postby Zuleika » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 pm

You don't need them for China.
Doxycycline I believe, is the one recommended one for Thailand, although I have to say I personally don't take any for Thailand. The incidents of Malaria is low except for at the Golden triangle ie the Northern borders.

At the end of the day it is entirely your decision, make it as informed as you can.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby hcdownes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:49 am

Hey that's brilliant thank you.

Everyone always has different advice to each other. Better to be safe than sorry though and find some before I go.
hcdownes

Postby 2loula » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:03 am

It may be worth your while investigating taking Malarone, as opposed to Doxy. On a trip to Africa with friends, I had got Malarone on private prescription, and though more expensive, found it to be much easier to deal with than doxy. One of my friends had that, and as well a bit of an upset stomach, she developed a strange sensitivity to sunlight that made her skin red.

I found that Malarone had very few side-effects, and would recommend taking after eating. They also do not have such a prolonged period for taking them either side of your trip to countries with malaria (only 1-2 days before, and 1 week after).

Hope that helps
2loula
User Rank: Traveller

Postby assel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:31 pm

yeah, i was recommended Malarone as well for a trip to Africa, the nurse said it's the one with the least side effects, though it's also more expensive. i think it's worth taking the tablets just to have a piece of mind, they won't do any harm but might turn out to be useful
assel
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby jessiainscough » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:41 am

I don't know about China, but in Thailand I doubt you need them, but it depends on where your going.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinat ... a-map.aspx

If you look at the map, so long as you're not going to be travelling near the borders then you don't need malaria tablets, when I went on a trip last summer, I think one person out of 30 in the group took them - I went to see a nurse about jabs and stuff and she said I didn't need them as well.
jessiainscough

Return to Travel Tips