Sydney at Christmas and new year?!

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sydney at Christmas and new year?!

Postby laurajay » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Hey people,

Me and my boyfriend are planning to spend this xmas and new year in sydney, and ive just been checking out accommodation. all the well known and wee reviewed places are booked out ie wake up, Sydney central YHA and I was wondering does anyone have any good recommendations for places to try? we want to be as close to central sydney as poss, and something lively enough but not pure mental! any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

Laura :)
laurajay
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Sydney at Christmas and new year?!

Postby Zuleika » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Try Coogee (next beach to Bondi) - Coogee Bay backpackers was OK. But there are a few other hostels along Coogee also, its a nice area.
Also I stayed in Glebe point YHA which was fine and still walking distance. Glebe was fab.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby desiree2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi
I agree with Zuleika about Glebe. It's a great area with lots of different eateries, a few pubs, grocery shop, bakeries etc. Beautiful old terrace houses and a quiet area but only about 20 mins walk or 10 mins bus ride to Central Sydney. Definitely a good idea to think about booking your accommodation now, Sydney accommodation gets really full and expensive over Christmas and New Year.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby laurajay » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 am

thanks for the ideas, checked out glebe point, its booked out too! :( a few still available are harbur city backpackers, alfred park, glebe village, and lord wolseley - anyone know what these are like? we want to be able to meet people and have fun, nothing totally crazy, but good times, ya know? again replies would be very welcome!!
laurajay

Postby tasha!! » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Oh my gosh, I thought this thread could be useful to look at as I will be landing in Sydney on 7th January next year. I can't believe you are having such trouble trying to get booked in somewhere Laura, I never thought things would be booked up this quick!

Does anyone know whether things will have started to die down by 7th?

Tasha x
tasha!!
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby laurajay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:20 am

yea i know I nearly died when I seen most places were booked out. We had checked loads of the hostel sites and they all said most of the big places were booked out, but on a whim i contacted wake up directly ( even tho everywhere else said it was booked out) and they had room! so now finally booked in there, hope its good! anyone else stayed there? It seems to came down after the 1st few days of january so hopefully ul be ok! where are u coming from?

laura :D
laurajay

Postby desiree2 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:26 am

Hi Tasha

The 7th should be easier but keep in mind that it's school/uni holidays here in Australia so it will still be more heavily booked and probably more expensive than in say February. If you're flying in from a long way (US, UK etc) perhaps you could look at booking at least your first night before you arrive.

Have a great trip!

Desiree
desiree2

Postby katb » Wed May 26, 2010 4:36 am

I've just managed to book Wake up hostel for New Year too although they have a minimum 7 day stay and require payment in full when you book. I guess they may hold places for people contacting them directly rather than booking through hostel sites. Thought I'd better get it booked now as everyone keeps telling me how amazing Sydney is for New Year!!

Kat
katb

Postby laurajay » Sun May 30, 2010 3:28 pm

hey kat

yea we heard that too! cant wait! where are u coming from? it looks class, cant wait for it! new year at sydney harbour! you travelling alone or with people?

Laura
laurajay

Postby katb » Mon May 31, 2010 4:35 am

Hi Laura

I agree Sydney looks amazing for New Year! I am originally from the UK (Edinburgh) but am setting off to Central and South America on 4th June, travelling around there for 6 months, then arrive in Aus to do a bit of travelling down the east coast before Christmas. Will be travelling on my own but spending Christmas with friends near Melbourne, and I think some friends will be in or around Sydney for New Year too, but not sure for def yet, just wanted to make sure I was all booked up for it first!! WHat about you? Where are you from? Are you on a big travel trip too?

Kat
katb

Postby laurajay » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey Kat,
Hope you enjoy ur trip!! that sounds great!! Were heading off to thailand and SE asia in oct then go to australia and doing the west coast beginning of dec to arrive in sydney on 21st dec, will have to cram alot in! were from belfast, first big trip away! well enjoy urself, and maybe see ya in wakeup!
laurajay

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific