everest base camp

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

everest base camp

Postby tere » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:30 pm

I am going in May to everest base camp. need to know what kind of clothes to take. thank you.
tere
tere
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: everest base camp

Postby Finnster9 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 pm

When in May are you going? End of May? Plan on it being cold!
Finnster9
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Zuleika » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Check this thread out for absolutely everything you need to know!!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100&hilit=+nepal
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby mytwoleftfeet » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 am

Namaste Tere,

I did EBC trek from Dec 1 - 15, 2009, this was the start of the winter season in Nepal and the start of low season for trekking. Dressing up during the trek was not an issue for me. When the sun was up, during the first few days I was fine with a short sleeve shirt, when we trekked pass over 3000 metres, I wore a long sleeve shirt (my ski wear, base layer that was warm and wicks away moisture). You will sweat, you just need to make sure that you have an extra layer, e.g. a fleece handy when you stop for a break. I wore regular convertible pants for the first 5 days (a few people along the way wore shorts until Namche Bazaar) and switched to my mid weight hiking pants (patagonia - - I wear this skiing sometimes when conditions are mild in Canada as well). I also brought my parka (700 down) for the Kala Pathar summit. We had a tough break on day to go up Kala Pathar when it was cloudy and windy (the rest of the 15 days, we had glorious sun). I'm from Canada so I'm used to the cold (I ski and snowshoe even if it's minus 20 outside). I trekked with a couple from Brazil who trekked in their parkas as they were cold all the time. The toughest days (at least for me) were when we started nearing 4000 metres (past Tengboche and heading towards Dingboche) all the way to Gorak Shep (where you would be based at to attempt Everest Base Camp and Kala Pathar). If your trek takes you to the Gokyo valley area, you will ascend higher and earlier than the route I took.

Where I found it really cold was sleeping at night. The teahouses do not have heating and they are not built with insulation. I wore my parka to sleep, insulated pants and a mid weight long johns (at the higher elevations, I also wore a toque and gloves - - - in Dughla and Gorak Shep). I also requested for an extra blanket or two. If you have a 4 season sleeping bag (rated at minus 25), I would highly recommended it if you're the type who's always cold (note for the first 4 - 5 days, I slept in my underwear, I was too warm in my sleeping bag). I'm not too sure about the ones provided by the outfitter (I went with a local Nepalese company), they said it's 4 season (it did not feel like it). Nepal is a land of knock-offs when it comes to winter gear, everyone wears North Face (lol!)

You're going in May (spring time) and it will most likely be busy with summit expeditions. Also it will not likely be as cold compared to December - February. Having said this though, the weather tends to be unpredictable when you get into higher elevations. Dressing in layers would be a safe bet.

I highly recommend the Lonely Planet Guide to Trekking in Nepal (not 100% sure of the exact title, I'm in south east asia at the moment until mid April, email me if you need it still). This guide helped me a lot before I took the plunge and sign up for EBC trek.

For specifics here's what I brought for clothing gear:
- 3 short sleeve t-shirts
- 2 long sleeves shirts (I brought the 1/4 zip kind; it zips up to your neck when it's windy & cold)
- 1 mid weight fleece (inner liner to my 3 in one jacket - - this fleece was too warm for me)
- 1 liner with a hood, which came in handy (part of my 3 in one jacket - - wore this with a long sleeve shirt for the last few days of the trek, fleece was too warm)
- 1 parka (700 down)
- 1 convertible pants
- 1 mid weight hiking pants (water repellant)
- 1 insulated pants
- 1 mid-weight long johns
- lots of socks - 10 liners; 8 wool hiking socks (I keep my feet happy ---my first priority)
- toque (hat --- you can buy those cool Nepalese hats for 200 - 250 rupees)
- glove liners
- mid weight gloves
- winter gloves
- scarf (to help keep the wind from your face)
NOTE: I trekked for 14 days (last day, day 15 was short trek from hotel to Lukla airport), and washed my clothes along the way (they were the quick dry type).

Hope that helps. All good things ............... Emma
Last edited by mytwoleftfeet on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The funny thing about the rat race is even if you win, you are still a rat" - - - read this somewhere. :0)
mytwoleftfeet
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Anna-Marie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:16 am

Hi Emma,
Thank you so much for the posting! It is much appreciated. I am heading there in 13 days... I can hardly wait! ive been struggling with gear... and what to take...but your post really helped!
Thank you
Safe Travels through Asia. :)
Anna-Marie
Anna-Marie

Postby arapiles91 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:14 am

hey! i have been teaching in manali, india, for the last month and am thinking of joining up for the trek commencing on may 2nd. wasnt planning when i left aus on doing a major trek, so wanting to check whether or not i have adequete gear.

i have a 4 season sleeping bag, basic but comfy hiking boots, a good raincoat, a polar fleece jumper and a few pairs of thermals. is this enough gear, or will i be cold/in short supply??

i have a 30lt pack and 50Lt pack with me also. which would be best to carry with me on the trek and which would i leave in kathmandu till i get back?

Thanks heaps!
arapiles91

Postby mytwoleftfeet » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 am

Hi there:

- Additional note: Aside from EBC, I've trekked on other occasions (Kili, Inca Trail, Capadoccia, etc.) and I've noticed few people wear cotton shirts while trekking. I personally do not recommend this as it gets soaking wet. I always wear synthetic quick dry shirts ( I have a few I've had for years). Same thing for socks, DO NOT wear cotton socks.

To arapiles91:

Your packs are fine. Not sure if you are joining a group trek with porters, most outfitters provide you with dufflebags to put in your gear (it was easy to find your things in these duffle bags at the end of each trek day). Usually they have a restriction on how much you can bring with your because they have limits on what the porters are allowed to carry. Can't remember what it was. If you are trekking on your own and carrying your own pack, I suggest you keep it to a minimum. Some trek trails are quite steep and you also would be dealing with altitude so the air is thinner. A backpack at sea level may seem heavier on a challenging terrain and low oxygen environment. I joined a trek group and had porters carry most of my gear. I only carried water (3 liters in a hydration pack - - - highly recommended), my camera, fleece and other stuff (sunscreen, scarf, gloves, etc). Even this bare minimum gear, I found it heavy.

I did a few days in Kathmandu before and after the EBC trek, so I have extra gear. I left these at the hotel I was staying in.

Also about gear, no worries, you can buy everything in Kathmandu quite cheaply. I bought a soft shell jacket for about $22 dollars CDN and I wore xc skiiing this winter and it was great. The Brazilian couple I trekked with bought most of their gear in Kathmandu. Based on what you indicated, you should have adequate gear. Your sleeping bag is fine and if you're staying at a teahouse, you can always requst for a blanket.

The Nepalese are one of the most gentle people I have ever met. When in Kathmandu, just be careful crossing the streets, you'll know what I mean when you get there (lol!).

Happy trekking! ............. Emma
"The funny thing about the rat race is even if you win, you are still a rat" - - - read this somewhere. :0)
mytwoleftfeet

Postby dangregg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 am

Hi Emma - all of the above is really useful as I am starting the everest trek with Gap this sun (11 April), so thanks also.

Hope you don't mind me asking a couple of extra q's myself. At this time of year (April) do you think I need a parka/Down jacket, insulated pants and longjohns? I would rather take them if in any doubt (and being from the UK am not really used to extreme conditions) but at the same time I don't want to take things which aren't absolutely essential. I know it will still be v cold at night but am not quite sure how to judge it for this time of year.

Please forgive my ignorance on this (I like walking/trekking but am not an expert on outdoor clothing), and my question is a bit last minute, but I do have a few last shopping days before I get to Nepal!

Cheers

Dan
dangregg

Postby mytwoleftfeet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:31 am

dangregg wrote:Hi Emma - all of the above is really useful as I am starting the everest trek with Gap this sun (11 April), so thanks also.

Hope you don't mind me asking a couple of extra q's myself. At this time of year (April) do you think I need a parka/Down jacket, insulated pants and longjohns? I would rather take them if in any doubt (and being from the UK am not really used to extreme conditions) but at the same time I don't want to take things which aren't absolutely essential. I know it will still be v cold at night but am not quite sure how to judge it for this time of year.

Please forgive my ignorance on this (I like walking/trekking but am not an expert on outdoor clothing), and my question is a bit last minute, but I do have a few last shopping days before I get to Nepal!

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan, I'm not sure about the temperature around April. Just to be safe bring your warm weather gear. You just never know when you get up high in the Himalaya, the weather can turn on you quickly. That happened to me when we headed to Kala Pathar (only day I wore my parka trekking). You can probably get away without insulated pants, I only wore mine to sleep at the higher altitudes heading up to base camp and Kala Pathar (never wore it to trek, it would have been too warm even on the coldest day of our trek).

To reduce the bulk of your gear, you might want to get some space travel bags that can reduce the air from your gear.

I hope that helps. I am excited for you. Go for it.

Namaste .............. Emma

PS. Here's a guide for weather at base camp. Like I said, better to be prepared, so take it with a grain of salt. Being cold is relative, you need to know your own threshold for extreme weather and then plan and prepare accordingly.

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/ExWeb ... 2004.shtml
mytwoleftfeet

Postby dangregg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks Emma, thats really useful. Like you say, better to take too much than not enough.

Only a few days to go now, so quite excited!

Cheers again

Dan
dangregg

Postby micckey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 am

Well, there's always the chance it was officially licensed. I doubt it, but you never know!
micckey

Return to Asia