Looking for clothing brand suggestions...

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Looking for clothing brand suggestions...

Postby salty_dog_68 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:32 am

Getting ready to do my clothes shopping for a trip to Peru. We will be hiking the Inca Trail and ascending El MIsti. Being from Florida we don't really have "GOOD" winter clothes. I am looking for the brands that give the best durability and heat to weight ratio. Has anyone had any experience with Lands End, Underarmor, The North Face, Columbia, Etc. Any thoughts or suggestions?
The object of life is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, broken and battered, screaming "holy s**t what a ride!"
salty_dog_68
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Looking for clothing brand suggestions...

Postby sinecure » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:47 pm

In Florida you still have some amazing retailers at your disposal. (REI, Backcountry and more!)

As far as heat/weight I would be looking at some of the higher end brands. But with the higher end brands comes a high price tag.

Brands I've had good experience with are Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Arteryx.
sinecure

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Head to REI, as Sinecure suggested. They've got lots of good brands (including the ones mentioned above) and they will stand behind every product they sell. But its hard to say whether one brand is good or bad without talking specifics, as most of these companies make more than clothing (packs, equipment, sleeping bags, etc.) For example I've been very happy with North Face winter wear, but not their packs. I bought a North Face Nuptse 700 fill down jacket and outer shell for around $400 total, over two years ago, which has been a great winter pair for a pretty reasonable price. Good luck!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby salty_dog_68 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:07 pm

To be more specific...I am looking for a fleece jacket, hiking pants, and thermals.
The object of life is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, broken and battered, screaming "holy s**t what a ride!"
salty_dog_68

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:04 pm

When are you going to Peru? That may decide whether you need arctic clothing or just some layers.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby jaiylin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:38 pm

If you can find Helly Hansen, they make the best thermal layers that I have come across!
jaiylin
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Zuleika » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:58 pm

The North Face rocks. I have lots of their clothes, fleeces and the poly thermals are terrific if like me you cant afford expensive merino.
And I adore my Nuptse down - its like wearing an ultra warm squidgey comfy pillow!!!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Travel Tips