Blog: Amazon, Andes, Lake Titicaca; 23 Sep - 12 Oct 09

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Blog: Amazon, Andes, Lake Titicaca; 23 Sep - 12 Oct 09

Postby mike c » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi, mainly for those who shared elements of this trip, the blog and links to photos are now under construction at: http://msquaredwalksperu.blogspot.com/. To add your photos and comments, all most welcome, e-mail me at msquared10@hotmail.com for the edit password.
Hope everyone has now got home safely - we have, following a mugging and several hours with the tourist Police in Lima. Bruises now healing. See the blog for the fuller story (grossly exaggerated, of course!) but in the interim, avoid going off the beaten track in Lima...
mike c
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Blog: Amazon, Andes, Lake Titicaca; 23 Sep - 12 Oct 09

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:04 am

Sorry to hear about the mugging but really glad to hear you are recovering. I checked your blog for the full story, but I guess it's not up yet.

The economic downturn has increased violent crime here in Ecuador too. I don't think we realize for the most part how terribly poor the people are here. In the countryside they can at least eat, but in the cities it is a desperate situation for those at the bottom of the economic heap.

I'm moving your post to the Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs section. Looking forward to seeing your blog develop.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby calicabral » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I've been reading this book called "Peru" from the Lonely Planet, and it talks a lot about (pick-pocketing, bag snatching, and muggings) and it makes me nervious as I will be going alone, but traveling with my group. BUT I'm still excited! Any advise??
calicabral

Postby TravelFun » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:59 pm

calicabral wrote:I've been reading this book called "Peru" from the Lonely Planet, and it talks a lot about (pick-pocketing, bag snatching, and muggings) and it makes me nervious as I will be going alone, but traveling with my group. BUT I'm still excited! Any advise??

Hi there, I would say general safety tips apply no matter where you go…just pay attention to your surroundings and the people around you. Don't wonder into dark, empty roads and keep to the busy places. Now no need to get paranoid, just project a confident stance even if you are confused and best not to show your vulnerability. Keep all important documents and bulk of your currency in the hotel/hostel safe...if not possible then spread items across on you and in your luggage.

You'll be fine and will have a fantastic experience.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs