Advise on AU/NZ cruises

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Advise on AU/NZ cruises

Postby airtvl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:42 pm

I am looking for some opinions on taking a cruise from Sydney to Auckland. I noticed there are many of these cruises nowadays and they are very affordable on last minute deals. (last minute ok for me). It's not my preferable way to see a country but finance is very important which has stopped me from traveling the last few years.
Any thoughts on taking a trip to this area that way? And if I do how to make the most of it? And how to keep the stops in each city affordable.

Thanks all.

Debbie :)
airtvl
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Advise on AU/NZ cruises

Postby jimshu » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Where are you from Debbie?
Could be a long way to travel, to hop on a cruise and just see Sydney/Auckland.Are there any stops in between in the islands?
Australia and New Zealand to really appreciate, you need to get beyond the main cities.Fly here, travel around our countrysides, take in all the sites, people, scenery,and wildlife you just won't see down our mainstreets.
But you need a minimum of 3 weeks in NZ and a month in Aussie.
And both countries are easy to get around in, with very good travel infrastructures.
Jim
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby mary7 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 am

Hi Debbie. How are you?
Sorry Debbie no idea on that. But I think cruises traveling are also cheerful. Well it depends on what you are planing to go with and afford. Have a great time. Just to tell you one thing that capture your good time. Thanks.
mary7

Postby desiree2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:06 am

Hi Debbie

Going on a cruise can be great fun for a holiday if you want to spend a week or two just relaxing, eating and drinking (sounds good to me). However, if you want to do some sightseeing and see what Australia and New Zealand have to offer then I wouldn't recommend a cruise. On a cruise you'll probably only be in port for 10-12 hours and you have to take into account the time needed for hundreds of people to disembark and re-embark which doesn't really give you too much time to see anything. If you don't know the countries then you'd have to look at doing the tours offered by the ship and they're generally not cheap.

Australia has heaps of backpacking and YMCA accommodation which is very affordable. You could look at getting a bus pass for any of the major coachlines (Greyhound, Blue Ribbon etc) which would get you around the place. At backpacking/YMCA accommodation you're probably very likely to meet up with others who you might be able to travel with. Australia/NZ are not cheap compared to say Asia, but there are cheapish methods of visiting Down Under if you do some investigating.

Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby desiree2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:08 am

Woops! Just noticed how old the original post was. :oops:

Debbie has probably been and gone well and truly!
desiree2

Postby airtvl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Nope...never made it to AU/NZ yet and have then lost my job. So if I ever make it in the future I will definitely be looking at the most budget oriented trip! So this is a good recommendation!
Thx
Debbie
airtvl

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific