TD Bank (Chip Cards) in Costa Rica HELP

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

TD Bank (Chip Cards) in Costa Rica HELP

Postby shinogo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Hey Guys! My friend and I are hooking up with a GAP tour in a few days and we've just landed in San Jose, Costa Rica. We opened Select Service (no foreign access fees) bank accounts with TD Bank Canada Trust just before leaving, being ensured that we would have no problem at all using any ATM hooked up to the PLUS network while down here. In fact we've, so far, experianced quite the opposite, and have been completely unable to withdraw any money at all, with a message saying our "cards are invalid."

Is it possible that TD stupidly has given us these new chip cards and they are not useable with banks/ATMs outside of Canada and the US?

ANY help would be appreciated, we're at our wits end. They've been completely unhelpful, short of telling us that there are NO plus network machines in Costa Rica... which sounds completely wrong to me.

Thanks!
shinogo
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: TD Bank (Chip Cards) in Costa Rica HELP

Postby sinecure » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm not sure we'll be able to provide much support here. Have you tried calling their 1-800 numbers and talking to a manager to see if they can not work out the issue.
sinecure

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:31 pm

Oh no! This is terrible.

At the VISA/Plus locator site, there are 10 PLUS ATMs listed for San Jose. Here's the link:

visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/

I'd call my bank back and ask for a manager. You may need to have someone (your bank?) send you money via Western Union.

Good luck!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby ballu » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 pm

I've run into machines that don't work with international cards. I also had a situation in Egypt where my card would only work with one bank's machines...and it took a long time to find that one machine. I run into machines that just wouldn't work with some people's cards in the group, but other's were fine. I've run into machines that ran out of money and gave everybody an error.

If you are withdrawing from a credit card, you can go into the bank and get a cash advance (there may be fees associated with this, but probably less than Western Union...but maybe not with that particular card). At this point, you probably just want money...at least that's how I felt in Egypt.

I did have a chip card in Africa, it did work with many machines.

I don't know where you are or where these are, but here are some more "international" banks where you might have a better chance...

Scotiabank Costa Rica S.A.
Tel. (506) 2287-8700
Fax. (506) 2255-3076
Apdo. Postal: 5395-1000 San José
Costado sur del Club Unión, San José

Citibank Costa Rica S.A.
Tel. (506) 2201-0800
Fax. (506) 2201-8313
Apdo. Postal: 10277-1000 San Jose
Sabana Sur, San Jose

Also, try asking at the hotel reception what ATM they recommend.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby Zuleika » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:12 am

Just a thought - but we here in the UK have to now activate all new cards - either online or by a phone call - to prove you have received it. I guess many were going missing in the post.
Also we have to tell the banks where we are going abroad otherwise they tend to put a stop on it.

Can you go into the bank with your passport and get a cash advance?

The only otherthing would be to get someone at home wire you some emergency funds.

I have to say - I tend to take enough cash these days for the whole of the trip - I know thats dodgy and one day I will perhaps get it stolen - but these cash points are quite hit and miss.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby warbymontreal » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:50 am

The experiences here sound very familiar. My wife and I have recently moved near Geneva, Switzerland for an 11-month stay. We were told by TD that our TD Canada Trust Access Cards (with security chips) would work at Plus ATMs worldwide.

Unfortunately, our cards have not worked in several different ATMs here in Switzerland (UBS and Credit Suisse banks). In all cases, the machine reports that our cards are damaged. Interestingly, our cards have worked in France and the UK.

TD Canada Trust customer service have not been helpful. Through numerous calls and a formal letter of complaint, I received comments including: "nothing we can do", "keep trying at other machines", "rub your card on your shoe", "make sure the machine you're using has a Plus logo". Customer service's written reply stated that not all banks are yet able to handle the TD cards with security chips.

This has caused a huge amount of cost and inconvenience to my wife and me. I am unsatisfied with their handling of the problem, and this will surely have an impact on my future dealings with this bank. If you are a TD customer and you are planning to travel using your TD green access card, beware!
warbymontreal

Postby dhayes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi all, now you've got me worried. We're going to CR in December and we were planning on using our TD interact cards to get money out of the machines there. I can just see that answer at the bank now if I address this situation before we go. They'll say "we haven't had any complaint's that I know of". Oh well here's hoping for the best.

Donna :|
dhayes
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby warbymontreal » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:53 am

Our difficult situation in Switzerland continues, with a major national
bank's (UBS's) Plus ATMs still not accepting our TD chip cards.

We found a small regional bank that does work: Banque Cantonale
de Geneve.

TD customer service have tried to be helpful. Apparently, Visa runs
the Plus network and is looking into the situation.

The lesson from all these experiences is that It's important to
have backup sources of cash.

WarbyMontreal
warbymontreal

Postby anmelco » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:26 pm

Really good that I read about this concern now. I use TD bank and have a chip card as well. I think I will print off this page of concerns and take to my branch. I hope there isn't the same concern with the TD Visa card as I was planning to use that as my main source of spending money. Any comments, experiences with that? I did read in the info just received that it is good to bring lots of US cash too but I am always nervous about carrying too much cash anywhere I go.
anmelco

Postby andrew.lam » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:13 am

I'm also heading to Costa Rica in 2 weeks and have a TD Bank Card with chip using Select Service. To all posters, do you know if this issue has been resolved? Any news would be appreciated. Thanks
andrew.lam

Postby nikimarcotte » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:23 pm

central america constantly had ATM's that ran out of cash when i was there, if they run out of cash, you sometimes get random messages about your card. also, did you try out your new card at home at an ATM before heading out...i made the mistake once of taking a visa that i had previously pinned, then got a new one in the mail and never ACTUALLY pinned it, oops. so got weird error messages when i tried to use it at an ATM...i had activated over the phone, but didn't actually try using it at an ATM as it was just backup...really poor backup it turned out..worked for purchases, just not for cash. i had the opposite issue, with an old magnetic strip style debit card, had trouble finding ATM's in the UK that were NOT chip and pin ONLY. then, in china, used ATMs that had NO plus or cirrus symbol and my card DID work...just finally tried one because i couldn't find one with the right symbols...this is a last resort of course because some machines will confiscate your card.

hope it works out for you....when you finally can take out cash, take out lots just in case it happens again along the way.

random other thought....i have heard that if your PIN is not the standard 4 digits, some international machines won't accept it.
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean