How do you make your luggage unique?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: How do you make your luggage unique?

Postby jimmers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:12 pm

I have traveled internationally (100+ countries) for a long time, and have been in the realms of security issues as a part of living. Putting Country identity to any of your bags is not usually the way to go. Any country identity may trigger any number of things. Loud or distinctive markings may not be good either, for many triggering reasons. May I suggest that your generic looking bag is best identified to you right away by tying an old personal"recognizable" scarf onto a secure part or handle of the bag. That will do, no matter what country you look like you are from. For clothing, loud and wordy, thought provoking verbage, or country i.d. markings really aren't the way to go either, in less you feel your ego must expound those risks.......jimmers
jimmers
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Zuleika » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:00 pm

DanielBMe wrote:I stitched little patches of Canadian flags to my backpack. Makes it easier to spot.

Daniel

EVERY Canadian I have ever met travelling always has their flag on their luggage so as they dont get mistaken for American.

My backpack is old, knackered - and PURPLE - dont see too many of those!!!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ballu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:15 pm

I have never seen a pack come down the luggage shute of an airport that looked like mine...lets face it, most people don't have backpacks and those who do have different ones.

After having a good 4-5 plastic luggage tags on my pack that would snap off over the course of a 2-3 week trip, I picked up some curly cue bright orange luggage tags that easily survived my last trip so I have high hopes for the future....so when I green pack with an orange tag falls down on to the airport luggage roundabout, I know with a high degree of certainty that it's mine.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby AdamfromCanada » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:29 pm

jimmers wrote:I have traveled internationally (100+ countries) for a long time, and have been in the realms of security issues as a part of living. Putting Country identity to any of your bags is not usually the way to go. Any country identity may trigger any number of things. Loud or distinctive markings may not be good either, for many triggering reasons. May I suggest that your generic looking bag is best identified to you right away by tying an old personal"recognizable" scarf onto a secure part or handle of the bag. That will do, no matter what country you look like you are from. For clothing, loud and wordy, thought provoking verbage, or country i.d. markings really aren't the way to go either, in less you feel your ego must expound those risks.......jimmers

Bah, I've worn Canadiana in several countries now in Europe, Asia and Africa and only ever had positive feedback. I'm not overly concerned about it. I like that my luggage tells a bit of a story, and have found that having the flag for the country I'm visiting on my bag has provoked only a positive response.

I agree, there are certain things that you shouldn't wear. People should research the countries they're going to to make sure they conform to the customs there. As for Canadian flags? Let them fly proudly. It's always good to see other Canadians abroad!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby avadear » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:21 am

I am from Texas and have a pink bandana rolled and tied to the handle of my blue backpack, along with a fabric tag that is zebra print with a pink "A". Why GUYS always try to pick it up off the conveyor is beyond me...esp when I see them finally get their luggage...and it looks NOTHING remotely near mine, even without the pink accessories.

I used to travel with a roller bag set and they came in all the bight primary colors...no one ever snatched those by accident, and I could always see it get loaded onto the plane :mrgreen: but they weren't right for the kind of travel I now am able to do, thus the blue backpack with pink accessories!

However I did once have a 'black bag' and I used those fuzzy twisty pipe cleaners (got them at the dollar store so I wasn't out a lot of money ;)) in bright colors and put them on all the zippers and handles. That def worked well for me as no one ever mistook my bag for theirs :D
avadear

Postby roofie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 am

I avoid black. And my two duffles are bright yellow with some duct tape and green with duct tape (note the tape isn't for identification :D)
roofie
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby rangers234 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:24 pm

how about a big harley bag no one will miss that. Just hope a group of hells angels dont decide to fly to argentina on 1st of march!:P
rangers234

Postby avonord » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 am

Reditor wrote:I use a bright blue travel pack with duct tape on it or a bright red duffle bag with a big "G.A.P Adventures" logo on it.

GAP should give these out. Free advertising!

My gf just tie some red and orange clothes onto the handle. Makes it easy to spot.
avonord
User Rank: Nomad

Postby amazon0313 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:29 pm

I tend to travel with an expedition pack. It has a bright yellow (think big bird) rain cover that I throw on it when flying (to keep the 8000 straps in). I've affectionately nicknamed it Old Yeller. NO ONE ever makes a move to take my bag.

When I travel for business (or something other than muking about as much as possible) I have a teal Heys wheelie case (my sister has a matching bright pink one). Once again, no one ever mistakes theirs for mine.

And I'm Canadian and I have a giant flag on my big pack and a smaller on on my day pack. When I was in Peru a British guy (in my GAP trip) asked if it were illegal for Canadians to leave the country without a flag. Every one he'd met on his around the world tour had the maple leaf stitched somewhere on their gear.
amazon0313
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby torontorox » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:41 am

Hmmmmm after reading this thread something tells me I should put some work into my backpack. Not only is it brand spanking new, it's black, with a Canadian Flag stitched on it. :wink: Teehee!
torontorox
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:07 pm

And those little rips and holes you might see on Canadian backpacks are not rips but instead one of two things, beer pockets or puck shots...the second one depending on how much of the first you drink...

Many non Canadians don't know this but as children we are taught two very important travel lessons, name goes on your underwear and flag goes on luggage....
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby avonord » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Speaking of underwear, my friend's Mom used to tie her used stockings (with holes!) onto the luggages. Hell.. nobody would dare touch her luggages. lol
avonord

Postby nikimarcotte » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:57 pm

everybody needs a gramma who can crochet...my gramma makes little covers for the handles that are actually crocheted on, so definitely won't just untie or rip off easily, though i have lost entire handles...but she makes them atrocious colors or whatever we ask for...these usually outlive the bags...NOBODY has one that is the same:)
nikimarcotte

Postby Clare_S » Wed May 20, 2009 5:09 am

My luggage is boring and black with a red trim. I make it visible by looping a big yellow satin ribbon into a bow on the top handle (nice and tight!). Makes it much easier to pick out.
Clare_S
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby DanielBMe » Wed May 20, 2009 11:36 am

You're not truly Canadian until you put one of these on your bags... :D
Click the image for a better view...

DanielBMe

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs