Ireland

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ireland info

Postby hullabaloo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:05 am

cant help much on the history (but i'm sure you'll find loads of info on the net) but 'nice places'....

3 main cities... .dublin, galway, cork. my preference is 1. cork, 2. galway, 3.dublin. dublin's has some great spots and things to do/see but is getting busier and busier, and has changed a lot in recent years. cork/galway also changed but still have irish charm to them than dubllin.

away from the cities (and cork and galway are really just large towns...) it's difficult to find an area of ireland that's not worth visiting. some of my favourites....

south west county cork
connemarra
co kerry
co galway
co donegal

not been but county wicklow is meant to be wonderful too.

just travelling around ireland gives you a great insight in to the people, culture and history. you dont have to stick to the obvious 'tourist' sights/regions.
Osborne, one-nil!
hullabaloo
User Rank: Traveller

Ireland

Postby Orlaith » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi! I'm Irish!

It's a fab place- depending on when you go- definitely try to take some day trips out to the Islands- Aran Islands are great but Inish Mor is pretty touristy-but dun aenghus fort is class. Inishboffin is another beautiful one.
Orlaith

Postby eewles » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm planning on spending a few days in Dublin this summer. Do you have any suggestions of things I should want to see over others? Good food and pubs?
eewles
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Orlaith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:50 pm

there's loads of good places in dublin- pubs in temple bar are handy. food can be dear enough someplaces- be warned! Milano are a pizza restaurant chain that do lovely pizza's and are fairly reasonable- they're dotted about the place- one in temple bar actually!whelans is a good pub/live music venue- check it out. and vicar street can have good gigs on too.

I'm not a dublin native so don't know that many great places- if you get a chance to head to Galway (only a three hour drive) make sure you check out pubs like O neachtain's and the Crane bar for live trad sessions. galway is a great place in the summer- full of festivals and it's a good place to head out to conemara, the aran islands or down to clare and the Burren/cliffs of Moher. The west is where it's all at! make sure you take it in!
Orlaith

Re: ireland info

Postby Irishlad72 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:46 am

hullabaloo wrote:cant help much on the history (but i'm sure you'll find loads of info on the net) but 'nice places'....

3 main cities... .dublin, galway, cork. my preference is 1. cork, 2. galway, 3.dublin. dublin's has some great spots and things to do/see but is getting busier and busier, and has changed a lot in recent years. cork/galway also changed but still have irish charm to them than dubllin.

away from the cities (and cork and galway are really just large towns...) it's difficult to find an area of ireland that's not worth visiting. some of my favourites....

south west county cork
connemarra
co kerry
co galway
co donegal

not been but county wicklow is meant to be wonderful too.

just travelling around ireland gives you a great insight in to the people, culture and history. you dont have to stick to the obvious 'tourist' sights/regions.

did you make it into any of the 6 counties of the North? Antrim coastline is stunning
Irishlad72

Postby thetravelingbee » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:27 am

I've been to Ireland twice, but have yet to make it around the whole country... I have friends that live in Loughlinstown outside of Dublin so that's been the area where I've hung out mostly. I'd love to get out and see some of the rest of the country. I've also been working on my family tree and have some ancestors from Ireland, but haven't been able to narrow down what county they originated from. As soon as I do, I'd love to take a trip to explore their old stomping grounds and maybe gather more info in the process. You know...two birds, one blunt object. :)
"Not all those who wander are lost."
- J.R.R Tolkein

http://www.thewriterbee.com
thetravelingbee
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby blobert_coltrane » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:46 pm

I think it'll be pretty hard not to have a great time in dublin! everywhere you look there are great restaurants and bars. be prepared for prices of food though, it's scarily pricey (especially in temple bar). if you want good food for less nothing beats a good pub lunch. head to temple bar for bars and clubs of all sorts. if you are in the city center but wnat a more relaxed attitude with less crowds try further up the quays, there's a pub called sin e with good music, decent beer and a laid back attitude. there are plenty of sights to see in the city during the day and also the DART train service which you can get to howth or bray, small beach townswith great walks and vibes, both great day trips.

As for further afield, galway is overated as a city but worth a day or two of your time. the burren in galway is well worth a look and usually you can get a package deal to see the burren, and the cliffs of moher in the one day. For stunning scenery my favourite county is Kerry, if you rent a car you can drive from tralee to the dingle peninsula which is really nice. also check out killarney national park, really beautiful. donegal is also worth a mention, really nice but always rains!
blobert_coltrane
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby maeve » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:55 pm

While I can't purport to be an expert on Ireland, I have visited there every year since 1998. It is truly the land of my heart. I travel by myself each year and have always felt very safe. I rent a car and tend to stick to the "road less travelled". Have never had any problems driving on the left side or on somewhat less than the divided highways I am used to.

My advice is to get out of the cities and spend your time in small villages. Each year I visit 3 places: Doolin which is on the west coast in County Clare and the traditional music capital of Ireland. Three great pubs here and also the point to catch a ferry to the Aran Island (these rank among the top 5 places that I have seen in the world). Just go to one of the pubs and sit and sip and watch Irish life unfold around you. Don't go in the summer though as your company will be tourists not the locals.
This is a good spot from which to tour The Burren and I mean tour - get out and attend the farmers' market in Ballyvaughn, drive up and down Corkscrew Hill, go to the Matchmakers Festival in Lisdoonvarna. This is the magic of Ireland but you have to meet it halfway and be prepared to take the road less travelled. And never let the rain get you down. Ireland is even more beautiful with a mist in the air.

I also always go to Achill Island in West County Mayo. A wild, wind sweep place but its haunting beauty and its solitutude bring me back each year. I thrist for it. Thirdly, I visit Kinsale in Co Cork for good food (Fishy Fishy Cafe is not to be missed) and it's a central point for a number of day trips.

I have been all over and LOVE it all - however, there is something about these three places that draw me back year after year after year. I stay in Bed and Breakfasts and have found the locals so friendly and helpful and completely mystified as to why this middle-aged woman keeps coming back year after year......They call it one of the mysteries of Ireland as they wave good-bye with instructions, "Now don't forget to come back next year to see us even if you are staying somewhere else".
maeve
User Rank: Daytripper

Ireland

Postby dub1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 am

:D
Hi all,
I'm not an expert on Ireland but I am an expert on Dublin if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help.
Brian Whelan.
P.S. My website answers a few!
http://www.freewebs.com/dublinaccommoda ... /index.htm
:D
A.A.D. = Almara Accommodations Dublin - a free quality accommodation booking service for Dublin. Sister company http://www.almarabb.com
dub1

Return to Europe