making reservations with a eurail pass

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

making reservations with a eurail pass

Postby wandering_bird » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:32 am

I am going on a sailing tour through the GReek Islands at the beginning of August and then traveling through Europe on the train. I have the pass, but I can't seem to figure out how to make train reservations. If anyone knows of any websites I can look at, or has any instructions at all I would really appreciate it. I'm hoping to avoid paying more than I have to, and to save many frustrating hours on the internet!
thanks and happy travels!
Robin
wandering_bird
User Rank: Weekender

Re: making reservations with a eurail pass

Postby vinnie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Train reservations can be made without a eurail pass. In addition, you can use a eurail pass without a reservation on most, but not all, trains. In a few cases, like any TGV or the Eurostar, a reservation is required whatever type of ticket you use.

Whoever sells you a eurail pass should also be able to make a reservation on a train for you. Remember that there is a charge for each reservation (in addition to the cost of the eurail pass).

I let my travel agent do all the work. The reservations and the pass all come at the same time in one packet with one bill.
vinnie
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby columbus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:46 am

what I did was that I looked up ahead of time when I would need reservations. (the timetable book they send with the pass tells you). Then, say I knew I needed a reservation on the train from Rome to Venice. When I arrived in Rome, I would make the reservation at the train station for the day I was leaving. I never had problems getting the train time I wanted.
columbus

Postby ballu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 pm

It's been a while, but I think a few times I just went to the train station's ticket counter when I was ready to leave and got my reservation. Sometimes we did it the day before...or as columbus said, when we arrived in a city, if we knew when we were leaving, we'd just make the reservations while we were there.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Return to Europe