Trekking Mont Blanc

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby tts » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi Care,

you make it sound very inviting, I bet you had fun :D Sounds like this trip would be ok in terms of exposure, it's seems to be more hiking than scrambling/climbing. I will give it a good thought, might do an easier GAP trip first. Thanks for the info.
tts
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Tall Paul » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:31 pm

Hey;

I suffer from more than a mild fear of heights. Interestingly, it goes away when climbing mountains. By the end of such treks, I'll be hopping from ledge to ledge with a 200 ft drop below, without blinking an eye. I have no idea why this is. In Malawi, I stood at the brink of a 150 ft. waterfall, standing in the water flow with the water up to my shins, without thinking twice. Must be the adrenaline or the level of concentration that does it.

Paul
Tall Paul
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Trekking Mont Blanc

Postby ekingen » Fri May 02, 2008 10:27 am

Hi All-

I am signed up to go on the trip in July and was wondering if anyone else was going. I am totally excited for the trip, I just hope that is it as physically demanding as it says it is. I don't want to be disappointed. I traveling alone, so I hope that there will be some cool people on the trip and I will be exposed to a lot of different things. I hope to see some of you in July
ekingen
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby rwc755 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:00 pm

I just booked the June-July date for this trip. I am traveling alone as well and hopefully will meet some awesome people to hike with.
rwc755

Postby mep89 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Hey all,

I'm interested in signing up for the early-mid august trip. However, I'm concerned that I will not be able to meet Trekking Mont Blanc's physical demands. After reading your posts, I am afraid that I am too inexperienced of a hiker, but I don't want that to stop me from going on this trip. The toughest mountain I have hiked is Angel's Landing (Zion National Park, Utah) at 6,000 feet. I did this more or less effortlessly last summer without prior training. The price of the trip is excellent and the views seem amazing... I really want to go. How would I be able to train for this trip/is it too late to start training?

Thanks,
Meredith
mep89

Postby Care » Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Don't be discouraged by the physical rating...you should just go for it! I was on this tour last year and it was the best thing I've ever done! I struggled on the first few days but you will realize as the days go on, fitness level increases. I am no athelete myself but you could start running or some cardio workout to build up your endurance level. Half the time it's also mind over matter, if you're determined to do it then you will be able to - plus the view it's totally worth it! Make sure you pack light so the backpack it's not so heavy on your back and hiking poles also help!! I don't think I'd make it without the poles!!

Hope this helps!!

Postby Salade » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:28 am

rwc755 wrote:I just booked the June-July date for this trip. I am traveling alone as well and hopefully will meet some awesome people to hike with.

I'm considering doing the Mont Blanc tour again (It was that amazing), for the June-July date as well.
As for fitness levels, I went on this tour at age sixteen and found it to be a very do-able trip. Keep in mind that I'm a cross-country runner, and though only 5'3", I was able to run up and down most of the slopes carrying my own pack (about 17 lbs). This may seem like a no-brainer, but if you have a heart condition or don't exercise at all, this is not the trip for you- one of the trekkers in my group fit both of these conditions and separate travel had to be arranged for him.
The slopes can get to be a bit steep, but there are no sharp drop offs. Pack extremely lightly; almost everyone on my trip regretted carrying so much. At the same time, I went in June and we got caught in a snow storm. So I'd say gloves and a very warm jacket are a must. Also, we stopped at a spa, so pack a swim suit as well.
My guide was excellent and the views were stunning. People kept bursting out into songs from the Sound of Music ("The hills are alive..."). If I had to chose between another trip to Mont Blanc or to the Galapagos (went there with Gap too), I'd choose Mont Blanc in a heartbeat.
Salade

Postby bbns » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I have tried to search as much information of EFMB (Trekking Mont Blanc) as possible. I also have looked into Mont Blanc Explorer (EFME) trip but feel I would like to do more hiking in heart.

I did regular exercise, and had experience in high altitude hiking before (over 2500m). However, the only concern is exposure. As long as there is no sharp drop off (like Angel's Landing in Utah or Peru Inca trail), then I am totally fine.

Could anyone give me some suggestions?
Thanks!
bbns

Postby tofu » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:04 pm

My husband and I just signed up for this trek for this summer. We live in the Appalachian Mountains, in the U.S., and we hike all the time, so we hope we are prepared for this trek. The description does sound a little intimidating. Training on hiking trails (state parks, etc.) should be a good way to get ready for this adventure. Life is short - go for it!
tofu

Postby sls269 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Hello,
I am debating taking this tour from August 25-September 3 - my concerns are that I have little hiking experience as I am from the Canadian prairies. I exercise regularly, but is the physical grading of 5 still going to be a huge challenge? Is the terrain somewhat treacherous, or basic? Furthermore, I'm a little curious as to whether there will be other single travellers under 30, perhaps students? It would be great to hear from someone who has been on the trip!

Thanks in advance :)
sls269

Postby MCKEEN » Sun May 23, 2010 9:35 am

sls269 wrote:Hello,
I am debating taking this tour from August 25-September 3 - my concerns are that I have little hiking experience as I am from the Canadian prairies. I exercise regularly, but is the physical grading of 5 still going to be a huge challenge? Is the terrain somewhat treacherous, or basic? Furthermore, I'm a little curious as to whether there will be other single travellers under 30, perhaps students? It would be great to hear from someone who has been on the trip!

Thanks in advance :)

Hi sls269,
I'm hoping to book the same departure date.
I'll be going solo too..no longer a student though! I went to Patagonia in Feb and to prepare for the mountains I ran up and down a stairwell with my pack on..it was good training for someone who lives in flat Ontario! We hiked straight up for a couple of hours at a time in Chile and I would guess that on Mont Blanc this will be more like 4-5 hours straight up. This time I will probably bring poles to help. Hope to see you there. :P

I've
MCKEEN
User Rank: Traveller

Postby MCKEEN » Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 am

Any thoughts about the ultramarathon..runs August 24-29th this year. Does it get crazy on the trails?
Should I pick a different departure date..looking at the 23- Sept 3 dates.

Also curious about the ladders in this region..saw some pics on other forums..I'm completely ok on the edge of a mountian as long as my feet touch the ground but ladders make my fear of heights kick in!

thanks!
MCKEEN

Postby ilovelucy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Care and others:

I am seriously considering going on the Mont Blanc trek that leaves Aug 4th. Is anyong else going or thinking or going on this date? I am nervous about my ability to do this. Last May I did the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu and although I finished it was very difficult for me. I am in a bit better shape now ( I am a female, 115 pounds 5'4 height) but I heard that this trek is more difficult than the inca trail. Can anyone compare? I need some help as to decide on whether to book this. Thanks.
ilovelucy

Postby pamela8488 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:16 am

hi! i have wanted to do this trip for a long time.. and am thinking about booking september. i am just a bit concerned that the weather might be too cold.. does anyone know ?? also i was wondering what age groups usually go on this trek.. is it mixed?
pamela8488

Postby flufforest » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi!

I'm intending to go on trekking mont blanc for 1 sep departure too, are you going on that one?
flufforest

PreviousNext

Return to Europe