greek sailing Mykonos to Santorini

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

greek sailing Mykonos to Santorini

Postby smcneill » Wed May 14, 2008 8:40 am

We will be doing the sailing trip in July and would like recommendations for hotels in Mykonos and Santorini.
smcneill
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: greek sailing Mykonos to Santorini

Postby vinnie » Wed May 14, 2008 9:19 am

Two places I like to stay at in Mykonos are Corfos Bay Resort and Mykonos Grace. Both are small hotels (about 30 rooms each) about 5 min. from the town (the chora) by taxi. In both cases they are not on the water but it is an easy walk to the beach. They both have a pool and limited food service.

If you go in July expect lots of people on the island and high prices for everything. Book a hotel well in advance for 'high' season (July and August) or you may need to sleep on the beach.
vinnie
User Rank: Nomad

Postby smcneill » Wed May 14, 2008 11:22 am

thanks for the information. I'll make reservations today. Do you have recommendations for a hotel in Santorini also?
smcneill

Postby smcneill » Wed May 14, 2008 11:46 am

Hey Vinnie, sorry to bother you. We are flying into Athens on July 12th in the evening. It might be better if we take a hotel in Athens and then on the 13th either fly or take an express ferry to Mykonos. Since we don't meet up until 5:00 PM that might save us some money. Would you recommend flying to mykonos or taking a ferry? I'm thinking we'd rather take a ferry since we'll have taken 3 flights to get to Athens. I know we would want a fast (or express) ferry from Athens to Mykonos. I would prefer to make those arrangements now and be done with it. What ferry company should we use? How can we be sure we are taking an express ferry?
thanks!
smcneill

Postby vinnie » Wed May 14, 2008 2:08 pm

If you fly from Athens it is about 40 min. to Mykonos. The best hotel near the airport in Athens is the Holiday Inn (the one at near the airport and not in downtown Athens). It is about 10 min. by public bus or the hotel bus from the hotel.

If you take the ferry then you need to transfer from the airport to the harbor in Piraeus (about 60-65 min. by bus). The boat will take about 6 hr. with a stop in Syros and/or Tinos on the way. I like the highspeed boats (like Highspeed 3 or 4) from Hellenic Seaways. When you arrive in Mykonos the GAP boat will be docked 100-200m away on the other side of the pier in the 'new' harbor. You will know if a boat is highspeed or not by the time it takes to get to the island (highspeed boats take about half the time of a regular ferry) and by the ticket price (highspeed boats cost more, up to 100% more, than a regular ferry).

Of the two options, I like to fly and then look over the island for the day.

I have never stayed overnight in Santorini so I have no idea about a good hotel there.
vinnie

Return to Europe