Best of Eastern Europe

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby kjack30 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Our travel agent made the bookings for the hotels so I don't know if there were any issues. It's good to know that they are expecting our tour though! :D
kjack30
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby VAtravelers » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm

Oh - that's nice! Since our start hotel did get changed a few weeks ago, you may want to confirm that you're in Hotel Kugal in Vienna. I guess a good travel agent just stays on top of changes for you (and spares you the details - how nice!), but maybe it's worth checking. :-)
VAtravelers
User Rank: Traveller

Hotel Kugal

Postby kjack30 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:55 pm

We are booked in Hotel Kugal in Vienna. Thanks for checking.
I have checked out the hotels in Vienna and Budapest online and they look pretty good.
kjack30

Postby VAtravelers » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Oh good! Yes, they look great on TripAdvisor.com...
VAtravelers

Re: Best of Eastern Europe

Postby westwoman » Thu May 08, 2008 9:15 pm

I won't be on your tour - we are going on the next one - June 15 to 29. However, I have a general question to ask any of you who might be looking in here still.

We have been advised to NOT take suitcases, but rather backpacks (no way, Jose - not with my lower back problems) or duffelbags. I want to take a suitcase because I simply like to travel with a suitcase.

Were any of you advised the same way, and what are you doing? Since this tour has never run before, perhaps that advise is their standard advice for more remote tours? I hope!

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.
westwoman

Postby VAtravelers » Thu May 08, 2008 10:02 pm

I am sure that a suitcase is fine - that's what I'll be bringing! That's what we brought on our Galapagos tour as well, which was on a boat. So, if it worked then with no problem, I'm sure it will work for Europe with no problem. I haven't seen a recommendation to bring a backpack, but I wouldn't change my plans if I do (because I don't have one to bring). Hope that helps!
VAtravelers

Postby kjack30 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:23 pm

I am also using a suitcase.
I have not heard anything about having to take a backpack either.
kjack30

Postby westwoman » Thu May 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Thanks for your replies. I was told this in the Vancouver office in person and by the Toronto office when I phoned to book, and again by email from there when I questioned it again. Reading the detailed itinerary, I can't see anywhere where we would have to lug luggage very far, as I mentioned, not like southeast Asia!

I have just emailed Via Carpathia who are running this tour for GAP and asked them the same question. It had better be OK. Seems like a silly thing to worry about but it is odd that I have been emphatically told this, and nothing was said to you two about it.

If nothing else, they will have had experience with your suitcases so should definitely be prepared to handle ours!!

Sounds like an amazing trip. Especially the "little" places in between the main cities.
westwoman

Postby jimshu » Fri May 09, 2008 1:15 am

restricted to one soft compact suitcase, or sports bag, maximum 15kg, plus a daypack. ,

The above is from your trip dossier.So suitcase is okay.
Looks like a fantastic trip.
We travelled Eastern Europe last June and the weather was great.Although Prague was cold.
Bratislava is wonderful the way the old town has restricted traffic to create a great ambience for pedestrians.
And Budapest is delightful.
3 cities we plan to go back and spend more time in.
As for extra things to do in any of your extra days- just wander the old town areas.
In Prague you may, by wandering the small streets around the main square, find small concerts of classical music organised at many places that you can just roll up to .Old churches have been converted to quite intimate performance chambers.

Budapest I would fully reccommend a night at the Carpathia Restaurant.Wonderful ancient building with arched and vaulted ceilings, and a covered verandah dining area also.They have the most polished classical music quintet there that will seranade you all night.And the leader is a most accomplished violinist Laslo someone, I'll check his name out.Do remember to buy their music CD as your souvineer.I still play it often.Brings back great memories.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Has anyone been to the Carpathia Restaurant recently? I'm going in May/June and will be there for my anniversary. Should I book a dinner there?
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby kateyb » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I haven't been to Carpathia, but I did eat at Mensa and it was a great restaurant with a nice atmosphere. It was very crowded when I went and I heard that it is always busy there.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Previous

Return to Europe