Accomadation in Athens before Greek Sailing trip in May

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Accomadation in Athens before Greek Sailing trip in May

Postby janeorme » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:18 am

Hi

I am a single traveller and was wondering if anyone can recommend either a hotel or hostel in Athens? I have cancelled one booking as the Lonely Planet Guide didn't give it the best review! Any Advice?

Thanks

Jane
janeorme
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby vinnie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:17 am

I stayed at the Holiday Inn by the airport (not the one in central Athens) on my last island holiday. It is close to the airport and offers a free shuttle bus to/from the hotel. I used it only as a place to sleep between flights. It is a poor hotel to stay at if you wish to see the sights in Athens (it is way out of town and close only to the airport).

You may also wish to try http://www.tripadvisor.com for opinions on hotels.
vinnie
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby janeorme » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for the advice, but I arrive 3 days before the trip and was hoping to stay central.
janeorme

Postby careau » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Gap put us up in the Hotel Cecil on the first & last night of the Greek Islands Discovery last year. It was very well located next to the Plaka on Athinas. Near the Centrum market and Monistriaki square. I didn`t pay for it "directly" so I can`t comment on the rates but it seemed like the kind of place that would be reasonably priced.

Happy Travels
careau
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby TravelFun » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi Jane,

I've stayed at the Hermes Hotel in the Plaka area...a bit on the dearer side but centrally located to all sights, shops and restaurants.

May is also a great time to go...I've been 3 times in the past years during May, it's less touristy and you get more attention at the restaurants etc..

Happy travels !
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby columbus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:54 pm

I stayed at the "Student and Travellers Inn" hostel in Athens. It was a nice place, near Syntagma square. It's very much a hostel. The only drawback I found was that there is only one key per room, and the door can not be unlocked and shut, meaning that either you have to leave the key in the keyhole out in the hallway all night, the door has to stay open a crack, or the person with the bed nearest the door has to keep waking up to open it...

http://www.studenttravellersinn.com/
columbus
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Accomadation in Athens before Greek Sailing trip in May

Postby massagekat » Thu May 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Hi, I am also going on one of the sailing trips in May. I will be staying at the Best Western Hotel Dore. The price is quite reasonable for a three star centrally located in Athens. I booked through Otel.com for the cheapest rate.
massagekat

Return to Europe