Greek Island Sailing!

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Greek Island Sailing!

Postby Kate30 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:19 pm

I am thinking about doing one of the greek island sailing trips in May and I wanted to hear from travellers who have done this trip before.
I have never gone on a GAP tour (but I did go on a Contiki tour 8 years ago) and I found the main focus of the trip was getting drunk at every city. I am not a big drinker and was wondering if these sailing tours really attract the boozy crowd (i guess it really depends on who is on the boat)??
Also, how much down time do you typically get on the sailing trips?
Does the boat usually dock in a port or anchor out?
For those who have gone in May - how warm was it??
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks.
Kate30
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby vinnie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm

You are correct, who is on the boat sets the tone of the trip. Most of the time the group is not into only drinking. The major focus is more on the sailing and the visiting of the islands.

Plan to be in port, docked, most nights. In a few ports this means you need to anchor off the port but it will be an easy trip to shore in an inflatable. Plan on anchoring one night per week in a out of the way bay with no village in the area.

You will be sailing an average of four or five hours a day (some days more and some days less). The rest of the day is available for tours of that days island, shopping, going to the beach, etc.
vinnie
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Kate30 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:07 am

Thanks Vinnie for all the info! I have thought of some more questions for you:
Did you run into any rough weather on your trip?
On a typical day, how early would you set sail for the next port?
also, did you get to do alot of snorkelling off of the boat?
Kate30

Postby vinnie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:02 am

Each day is different. It depends on the weather and where you are going that day. I have never had any rough weather when I have been sailing in the Greek islands. However it can happen. If the weather is too bad some GAP skippers have told me that they stay in port for the day.

When you leave depends on how far it is to the next island and what there is to do on the island you are on and the one you are going to. Departure time can be anywhere between 8AM and noon and will be different every day.

Swimming off the boat is common but not snorkelling. A swim stop becomes important in July and August when it can be 35 or 40 by lunch time. In addition, the GAP boats carry almost no snorkel equipment (bring your own is my advise). I have done it but never found much to see under water.
vinnie

Postby Kate30 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:23 pm

thanks so much Vinnie, for the helpful info!
Kate30

Re: Greek Island Sailing!

Postby Lowrie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:10 am

I just signed up for the Greek Islands sailing July 27-Aug 3 from Athens to Mykonos. I am 22 years old and will be travelling solo. Im really excited. Has anyone signed up for this trip?
Anyone have any advice on what to bring and what not to bring? How does the food kitty work? Thanks!
Lowrie

Postby jimshu » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Check out this thread Lowrie.A travel mate to meet up with.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5177#p20221
Jim
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby vinnie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:21 pm

The food kitty is rather simple. Everyone puts in an amount to start with (the skipper will come up with an amount). The group then decides what they like to eat for breakfast and lunch. One or more passengers take some of the money and go out and buy the food at a local market. For example, in Athens there is a good market about a 5 min. walk west of the dock on the other side of the street by the tram stop. Then everyone lends a hand in the cooking and all enjoy a nice meal. The most important 'food' to buy is water (plan on no less than 2l per person per day).
vinnie

Postby Lowrie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks!!

jimshu wrote:Check out this thread Lowrie.A travel mate to meet up with.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5177#p20221
Jim
Lowrie

Return to Europe