ANAS140928 : Annapurna Sanctuary Sept 28th 2014

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

ANAS140928 : Annapurna Sanctuary Sept 28th 2014

Postby orion64 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 am

Hi all,
I am Kate from South Australia and I am heading to Nepal this September (lucky me :D )
I would love to hear from anyone who is going on this trek, or at least anyone who has already been who could offer some advice and tips (let's see....luggage/backpack, managing money and tipping, training/preparation tips, language barriers, local customs, anything really that will help me to have a great holiday and not offend anyone in the process :-)
Thanks for reading!
orion64
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Annapurna Sanctuary Sept 28th 2014

Postby iroberto » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:08 am

Hi Kate,

My name is Robert, I will be joining the trek along with my friend Raphael! I am so pumped for the trip and just doing different walk in Sydney whenever I can to prepare my body for it. How is your preparation going?? I pretty much got all my gears sorted expected for the water purification part.

Can't wait to see everyone and start the trek!!

Rob
iroberto

Postby orion64 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 am

Hi Rob
Great to hear from you :)
I am a regular walker but have extended my training to ascending and descending steep terrain. It is not practical to walk 5-6 hours a day so I try to intensify the training and make it a hard workout. Fortunately, I have an active work day (I'm a nurse) so I hope that helps with endurance :D
I have all my travel plans finalised but not my gear- I read on another post about this trek that hiking poles are recommended, I have never used them but I think I will acquire some for this trip.
I am really excited about this adventure- first trip overseas!
I did not realise we needed to water purification....I will check with my travel agent.
Hope you don't mind me asking- when do you arrive in Kathmandu?
I would be happy to compare notes with you and Raphael- so feel free to ask or discuss anything about this trek.
cheers, Kate
orion64

Postby iroberto » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:53 am

Hi Kate,

My training definitely not as hardcore as yours. Lots of my trainings are come from work..Me and Raph are waiters, so we walk 7, 8 hours a day. Hopefully that would help.

In regards to water purification, I think I will get it for precaution, if I think the water is doggy, then I will use it.

Walking pole unless you are planning to do more trek, I guess just rent it. I think I will just pick up branches along the way if I need one.

I will be arriving the 26th in the evening and Raph will be 27th evening, I will spend a few weeks in China before heading over to Nepal.

Do you know if we have any porters?

Cheers!

Robert
iroberto

Postby orion64 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:51 am

Hi Rob
yes, I'm sure all the exercise you get through your job will help with your fitness and endurance :D
My understanding is that we will have a porter carry a bag/backpack for us (maximum weight 7.5kg) and we carry the remainder - so travel light :)
I arrive in Kathmandu on the 26th (around 10pm), so will have a rest day (to recover from the flight) before the tour starts.
So you are off to China first- you are quite the globe-trotter :D
cheers, Kate
orion64

Postby iroberto » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi Kate,

Gonna be pretty hard to pack the bag... Might even try to carry it on my own.

I am going back home for a wedding and just chill. Maybe even a small tour or two.

I think we are arriving around the same time, might even on the same plane. What airline you are with? Are you staying in Fuji guest house? We should meet up on the 27th morning

Rob
iroberto

Postby orion64 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:30 am

Hi Rob

I am flying Malaysian Airlines, departing Adelaide with stop-over at Kuala Lumpur and arriving in Kathmandu at 1030pm on the 26th.
I am also booked in at the Fuji guest house, so if I don't see you at the airport I'll see you there :D
Luggage-wise, I will take two medium sized backpacks, one for me and one for the porter.
My travel agent is going to find out if I can leave some of my luggage at the guest house while we are on the trek.
Have you got good hiking boots? I bought a pair a month ago, quite expensive but worth it, much more durable than joggers.
will chat again soon,
Kate
orion64

Postby iroberto » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:46 am

Hi Kate,

I am flying with Southern China and should be arriving at 2215 local time. So I might have quite a high chance bump into you at the airport. Did you organise airport transfer with them? I have mine organised.

I am getting a day pack and a main back pack, just easier that way. I have got my shoes sorted.... long story..... I have pretty much worn it in, and it is a pair of hiking shoes. I don't like boots, bit heavy. You got any down jacket and sleeping bag ready?

I am thinking to do some out and about on the morning of 27th if you are keen.

Rob
iroberto

Postby orion64 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:52 am

Hi Rob

I have my airport transfers organised also :)
I am going through the checklist for the trek and still have some things to get. I bought a sleeping bag earlier in the year for camping, but it is very bulky, my travel agent said I could purchase one which rolls into a small pack, but I am not sure how warm they are..
I have a good waterproof jacket but will need something with a bit of warmth- and not too bulky!
I think I should be training with that backpack now, so it won't be a shock for me later :lol:

I would be keen to do some sightseeing on the 27th- make the most of this trip :)
Hopefully I will not be too zonked after the plane trip :wink:

cheers, Kate
orion64

Postby iroberto » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi Kate,

For sleeping back you can get a down one, which will be lighter and more compact when you pack it down. Get a thermo liner as well, that way you can save some $$ by buying a slightly cheaper sleeping bag but still get a good insulation. I gonna bring a couple of t shirts, two merino base layer, a fleece, a 700 loft down and a rain jacket with me. Hopefully they will keep me warm...

I will be doing the same by putting some weight in my backpack just to have a taste of how it gonna be like but without the altitude bit.

We can take it easy on the 27th just walk around see what we can do, just don't double up with the 29th.

Rob
iroberto

Postby orion64 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:49 am

Hi Rob

I wanted to ask you if you have been on a trekking holiday before?
Have you had any specific immunisations for this part of the world?
I will check back with my travel agent about recommended immunisations.
I looked on a travel doctor site which gave some information about high altitude sickness. Apparently one strategy to avoid it being a major issue, is to ascend slowly, so as your body can acclimatise to the conditions. I see there is a medication you can take which makes you breathe more quickly and this alleviates the symptoms. I'm not sure I want to go that far (taking medication) but will ask my doctor at my next visit.
I have been out training again today, up and down the cliff-side.. but it will mean more when I put a backpack on :)
I have a busy week so probably won't get the gear on my list until next week....then I can start looking like a tourist gone mad in my home town :lol:
Rob, I am not sure what you meant be 'thermo-liner'? is this something that is placed in the sleeping bag for more insulation?

cheers, Kate
orion64

Postby iroberto » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:09 am

Hi Kate,

You up pretty early everyday...

No I haven't have any trekking holiday like this before. I have taken typhoid and hepatitis A a month ago. In regard to high altitude sickness, I don't think we are going that high, so I think it should be ok. Yeah, walk at your own pace and take your time to get your body ready will be a great idea.

Just make a list of thing that you will need to purchase so you won't miss a thing. Have you got your tourist visa sorted yet? I have got mine already, so I am pretty much just waiting for my departure date.

Rob
iroberto

Postby iroberto » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:41 am

Hey Kate,

Yeah for the bag liner, the thermo- liner helps you to keep warm and the sleeping bag clean.

Just done more shopping today, a water bladder for bag pack, a Swiss army knife on special.

Hopefully I will get a chance to walk outside more.

Rob
iroberto

Postby orion64 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:13 am

Hi Rob

I got my passport back today with the visa all sorted :)
I have changed plans this week so I can get my gear earlier, hoping to go to Adelaide and have a big spend up :D
Lucky you, getting your Swiss army knife on special (I got my hiking boots on special but it was still pretty costly). Anyway, everything we buy we can use again on another adventure :)
My travel agent advised me to roll everything in the backpack- makes more room. Also, you can buy 'quick dry' towels which I intend to get.
Have you worked out how you are managing your money?
I have been advised to get a travel debit card and maybe have some of the local currency as well. Not really sure yet, the tour advises we need money for meals and tips but I don't know if we can use the card for both of these. I might check back with my travel agent.
I registered today with Smart Traveller, registration alerts the authorities (Australian Embassy in Nepal) that we will be in the country and can assist if there are any issues.
I will ask about the thermo liners when I buy my sleeping bag.
Hope you find time to train outside, at least the days are getting longer now (more daylight) :)

cheers, Kate
orion64

Postby iroberto » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Kate,

I thought you live in Adelaide. Yeah I have quite a few of the micro fiber clothes, they are awesome. Dries quick and absorb lots of moisture. I got some quick dry hiking pants as well. One of which can detached and turn into short.

I don't know if there is a Mountain Design store in Adelaide, I purchase most my gear from they. Always have special on and pretty reliable gear. Make sure you buy yourself a head lamp, it will be extremely useful in outdoor environment. Maybe you wanna consider some dry bags too, which can prevent your clothes and sleeping back from getting wet if rains (fingers crossed this is not happening).

I need to sort out my day back situation as there is no bag can actually attach to my main backpack, I have to do some engineering to it. Gonna be fun!!

In terms of travel money, I don't know if there are cards out there that can actually load up Rupee, I think i will just talk to my bank and see if I can use my debit card oversea and I just load money on it whenever I need it.

Rob
iroberto

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge