New Zealand-- trips through GAP/ Intrepid

Discover the Alpine scenery, great walks and Maori culture of New Zealand. Learn about ancient aboriginal cultures, remote islands, endemic wildlife, vast deserts and stunning beaches of Australia. Delve into the diverse islands, peoples, landscapes and festivals of the paradise known as the South Pacific.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

New Zealand-- trips through GAP/ Intrepid

Postby jelyha » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:50 am

Has anyone been on a trip to New Zealand through GAP? I know it is actually run through Intrepid but you can sign up through GAP. I have been on a few trips through GAP that were great, but have never been on one run by Intrepid. I want to know if the Intrepid experience is as good as the GAP one... Also, am curious how the New Zealand trips are because I am still deciding between taking a trip to New Zealand versus taking one to Patagonia. Any thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated!
jelyha
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Tall Paul » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:59 pm

Hey;

I've travelled with Intrepid in India after booking through GAP. One trip is not a scientific sample, however the quality of the experiences were comparable. In other words, little difference from what I could see.

Paul
Tall Paul
User Rank: World Wanderer

New Zealand vs Patagonia

Postby jodiw » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi ya!

G.A.P and Intrepid had a long standing relationship which has come to an end in order for both companies to grow, and to allow G.A.P to become a stand alone company. We do run our tours in a similiar way but it is not possible to book Intrepid through G.A.P any longer.

In regards to whether to travel to New Zealand or Patgonia really depends on what you are hoping to get out of your trip and when you are planning to travel? Our Patagonia season runs from November-March. Patagonia is like the ultimate playground for outdoor enthusiasts and naturalists alike!

Kindest Regards,
jodi
Jodi@gap.ca
jodiw

GAP, Intrepid, NZ and Patagonia

Postby coqui14 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:16 pm

I booked a trip to Tibet with GAP run by Intrepid and I also find it to be very similar (well organize, good guide, clean basic hotels and safe). I traveled to Patagonia with GAP (Patagonia Dreaming) and I really enjoyed. Great hiking, great views, lots of staff to see and do. A unique place and a great trip. I been also thinking about taking a trip to New Zealand with Intrepid this Winter, and some friends told me is very similar. I believe both places are worth seeing. Hope this will help.

J
coqui14

Postby mattk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:49 pm

after speaking to people who have travelled to both patagonia and new zealand, they say it is very similar, and if you like patagonia you will love NZ, and vice versa.

I would think it's a little less expensive to travel in Patagonia, and the food is amazing too.

I have only done Patagonia, but New Zealand would be a great addition to the list.
mattk

Postby KateMcK » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:20 pm

i did the Gap/Intrepid NZ south Island trip last year. It was fantastic. Lots of neat things to do and the great scenery never let up.
KateMcK
User Rank: Daytripper

nz or patagonia

Postby travel_bunny » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:36 am

hi
i'm one of the lucky 4 million people who live in NZ so yes this reply is very bias, you have to come to nz, I live in Christchurch and i can jump in my car and drive for 1 hr and see some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, the southern alps are breathtaking, drive for 4 hrs and see come amazing glaciers, drive for 6hrs and reach queenstown and adrenilin capital of the world with everything from bungy, to jet boating, to wine tours and great sking in the winter, it's also the gateway to fiordland national park with the most awesome scenery,
I've travelled to sth america 3 times and done most of it extensively, but i havn't done patagonia yet, but from what i've heard the scenery is stunning however you can't go from the surf to alps in 2hrs and you can't see deserts to fiords, to wine country, to mud pools and geysers, in the one small country.
hope you make the right decision
cheers travel bunny 8) 8)
travel_bunny

New Zealand-- South Island

Postby jelyha » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:51 pm

I am going on the New Zealand-- South Island trip in November and am trying to figure out where to go for an extra week I have on the South Island after the trip ends. The trip already hits Christchurch, Queenstown, Mount Cook, Milford Sound, Fox Glacier, Franz Joseph Glacier, and Wanaka. I was thinking of trying to hit Kaikoura, Nelson, and Abel Tasman in my extra week. Does anyone have any tips? Is there somewhere else I should consider instead? Is a week enough to try to hit those three spots and make it back to Christchurch for my flight out? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated...
jelyha

Postby travel_bunny » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:19 am

hi from chch I would head up to hanmer springs for 1 night then continue up to kaikoura for the whale watching or dolphin swimming, then up to the marlborough sounds and over to nelson and the abel tasman b4 heading back , one week is ok, and definately easier to have a rent a car and drive around if you can it is 5.5 hrs drive from nelson to chch, 1.5 from chch to hanmer springs so you can see/ travel alot in 7 days,
hope this helps
travel bunny
a lucky kiwi
travel_bunny

New Zealand --South Island

Postby jelyha » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:24 am

Is one week enough if you don't rent a car? Is it do-able by taking the buses or trains? How long would you recommend spending in Nelson? And is it best to do Abel Tasman as a day trip or to try to spend a couple of days there if I only have a week? Thanks for the advice...
jelyha

Postby travel_bunny » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:39 pm

hi , travel in nz is easy! buses/shuttle services go everywhere, you can use the intercity bus service or shuttle services from the main centres, nelson is a nice town but you don't need 7 days there, the abel tasman national park is beautiful and you can do kayaking tours etc around the bays, if you have time in chch b4 your tour, the info centre in town or the airport can help you with travel plans and bus info
enjoy!!
travel bunny
travel_bunny

Postby jelyha » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:48 pm

how much time do you recommend spending in abel tasman? is a day enough? is 1 or 2 days enough in nelson? i only have 7 days total to travel from christchurch to kaikoura, nelson, abel tasman and make it back. just wanted to see if I was biting off more than i should... also do thinks book up in november or can i wait to get to new zealand to book buses and hostels, etc. thanks for the advice...
jelyha

Postby travel_bunny » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:07 am

hi don't panic! as i said in my 1st message a week is heaps of time, 1 night in hanmer, 1 in kaikoura then 3-4 in nelson b4 heading back to christchurch, you may even have extra time, so I know your leaving soon but don't stress, kiwis are very friendly and anyone will help you out, you should be ok booking things as you arrive the main tourist season starts in oct but it is busier in jan/feb.
okay?? have fun! don't worry!!
cheers travel bunny
travel_bunny

Postby Nables » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:45 pm

Hey, i live in NZ as well, feel free to PM or ask if you have any questions, i've been almost everywhere here.
Nables

Re: New Zealand-- trips through GAP/ Intrepid

Postby ShaunaG » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Hey...I'm doing the kiwi experience tour with some friends in NZ but they only have 2 weeks and I am there for 4...should I do the tour in 2 weeks with them? It starts in Christchurch and ends in Auckland. If I finish it in 2 weeks then what should I do for the other 2 weeks I'm there? Or should I just go it alone and spread the tour out over 4 weeks? Is that going to feel like too much time there?
ShaunaG
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Next

Return to New Zealand, Australia & the South Pacific