To buy or not to buy?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Postby leahlovestravel » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:42 am

I like to bring home a small piece of artwork if I can. Something that can be rolled up and popped in a cardboard tube which is easy to stuff into a pack, it's light weight and it brings back good memories when I see them on my wall. They don't have to be expensive.
Oh, and I always try to find a fridge magnet :)
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby nikimarcotte » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm

well, i ended up shipping home an 18kg box of stuff from south africa after my overland tour...if they hadn't changed the international flight luggage allowance from 2 down to 1 bag, i would have been fine. got some beautiful malawi wooden bowls and a hand woven carpet from namibia....plus jewellery, paintings and various other treasures. i would have bought a hand-carved wooden table from malawi if i could have figured out a way to get it home unbroken...just can't buy stuff like that at home. also, there are some awesome cutting boards that are still hanging by some roadside in madagascar because you need export papers to take wood out of madagascar and the poorer areas just don't have papers available...such a disappointment. oh well, i did as much for local economies along the way as i could carry home :)
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby georginal » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:04 pm

I went through a stage of collecting shot glasses as everywhere does them. Then I went through a stage of bracelets. I'm pretty good at saying "no" to buying things that are difficult or awkward to carry. Although the Turkish Carpet seller in Istanbul saw me coming and after a "Night" flight and with out sleep for a day and a half, I was persuaded to buy the Turkish Carpet.

A Morrocan headscarf and also boomerang were just must haves though!
georginal

Postby kat6942 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 pm

On the flight on the way there, I don't check anything and put everything in my big backpack. That includes an old backpack, a cloth purse, and clothes I know will not be coming back with me. Then on the way back I have the extra room in the backpack and a small backpack and purse to fill up. If I'm wearing all of my outerwear, that leaves quite a bit of space.

I've already heard about volcano hikes melting your shoes so on my next trip I'll be bringing a pair of old sneakers that will not be coming back with me. I'll probably end up wearing sandals in snow on my return trip but just think how much space I'll have.
kat6942
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby dhitaldiwash » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Dont take too much things in your suitcase while going to trip. You may take one or two pairs of clothes and wear one so you get lots of empty space and if you need new clothes in your trip you can buy those to bring the memories with you in home and you get lots of space.
dhitaldiwash
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby bryan_rich » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:14 pm

We usually prefer to use post if we have some real space-troubles from souvenirs. And yes, we are shopping junkies :)
bryan_rich

Postby foggybridges » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:25 pm

I take one carry on and one checked, and in my checked bag I put one of those Longchamp bags that weight nothing, are super sturdy and fold up! I can use that as a carry-on (or checked if it's wicked heavy) on my way home :)

I also wear my Toms on the way, and my sneakers/larger shoes on the way back- that always leaves some extra room!!

I like to buy jewelry when I travel, so I can wear something from my trip often (vs like a sari...).
I ride horses, so if I can find a horse statue in a country I pick it up! On an Overland in Africa I bought an animal to represent all of the 'big' ones I saw ie. a hippo, elephant, giraffe etc :)

My house is full of foreign animals! And lots of great pictures :)
foggybridges
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Previous

Return to Off-topic