Everest Base Camp footwear

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Everest Base Camp footwear

Postby shaun » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi,
Im planning on doing everest base camp in January and was wanting some advice regarding footwear. does anybody know if you need high boots or are ancle boots suitable? Would you recomend a two sock system or a single pair of thick socks?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
shaun
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Everest Base Camp footwear

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:15 pm

I used light weight goretex hiking midi boots.
Whatever you decide they need to be VERY well worn in or your trip will be miserable.
Double socks are better than one pair to prevent blisters. Use thin liner socks first then something thicker - I like the coolmax socks rather than wool as I find my feet dont sweat so much in them.
You might also want to consider something like yaktrax or similar for snowy passes.

If your asking these questions does this mean that this is your first big hike? You would do really well to get some practice hikes in then you can decide what combo of footwear, clothes, day sack, water system etc you are comfortable with, I have gone through all sorts of combos to find exactly what I am comfy with.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Everest Base Camp footwear

Postby shaun » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 pm

I live in Dubai and do a lot of walking/Backpacking so have a good backpack, hydration system and hiking treainers. I was more after the infomation as i'm not used to hiking in the mountains and cold, so was trying to decide how much support for my ancles and warmth for my feet. Could you advise what thew temperatures will be during the hike in January? Thanks for you help.
shaun

Return to Asia