DPJA132507 - Egypt & Jordan Adventure July 25th, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

DPJA132507 - Egypt & Jordan Adventure July 25th, 2013

Postby vanessanz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 am

Hi,

I was just wondering who is going on the Eygpt and Jordan tour in July? I am traveling alone and would love to get to know a few people before going on the tour!

I am 23 years old girl, I come from New Zealand, but currently living in Melbourne, Australia.

Looking forward to the tour and can't wait to meet everyone!

Thanks,
Vanessa
vanessanz
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: DPJA132507 - Egypt & Jordan Adventure July 25th, 2013

Postby worldtravelguy » Tue May 21, 2013 10:57 pm

(revised my reply since I am now officially confirmed... see my new response below) :)
Last edited by worldtravelguy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Also, Israel Explorer :)
worldtravelguy
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby worldtravelguy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi there,
I'm confirmed for this trip as well.

I'm a 29 yr old guy from Canada, and my first time travelling alone.

I'm planning on doing the full tour, Temple of Abu Simbel on Day 4 (with the group I'm assuming), and then staying an 2 extra days to do the Jerusalem Extension as it's nearby and I've always wanted to go there as well! I'm really hoping someone would like to tag along for this as it'll be weird going alone and plus there's a major price difference between 1 and 2 people. :)

worldtravelguy

Postby worldtravelguy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 pm

30 days to go! Who else is excited?

worldtravelguy

Postby vanessanz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:37 am

Hey! Not long to go now! Getting pretty excited and a little bit nervous!

What day do you get into Cairo? I fly in on the 24th. Do you think everything will be ok, considering the protests that are happening in Alexandra?

Looking forward to meeting you! See you in 23 days!!!
vanessanz

Postby worldtravelguy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:18 am

I'll be arriving there on Day 1 so I guess we'll meet at the intro dinner unless I see you and anyone else in the group earlier on.

I'll admit I was nervous too, but I'm not anymore. If you check out the Africa forum, and see the "Middle East Travel" post, someone just came back from there and had a great time. The news blows everything out of proportion, and the tour guide won't take us anywhere where it's dangerous. If there is a serious risk of danger, they would cancel the trip (which they have in the past)... so I'm glad they haven't so far and I doubt they will since things for the most part have calmed down there now.

See you there :)

worldtravelguy

Postby liz.semkowich » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Hey there travel mates- Vanessa and Worldtravelguy. Brittany and Liz are on the same tour leaving July 25th. So far that makes 3 Canadians and 1 Kiwi :) We arrive also on the 24th, really early in the morning. A little nervous about the recent unrest in Egypt but also super excited.
liz.semkowich

Postby worldtravelguy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 am

Hey Brittany and Liz... welcome to the group :)

Did you both just recently book the trip? I remember there were only 2 other people (I'm guessing Vanessa + 1 other) booked when I originally booked, making it a total of 3. So if you're not that 1 other, it means there's at least 5 in our group now (possibly more if others joined after too) :-)

I arrive in the afternoon, so we'll probably all see each other at the joining dinner.

I'm really hoping at least one other person is wanting to do the awesome Jerusalem Extension at the end if they can stay an extra day... the more people that do it, the cheaper it is. :)

worldtravelguy

Postby liz.semkowich » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:23 am

Hey Worldtravelguy (will we call you WTG for short?),
We booked around June 10th so I am not sure if we were the two you mentioned. We fly back on the 11th so not sure if there is time for the add on - we do however want to go to Abu Simbel.
Have you seen the utube video entitled Egypt and Jordan Adventure by Kjetil Hodne- it is a great preview of our tour :)
liz.semkowich

Postby vanessanz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:41 am

Hi Brittney and Liz! Looking forward to meeting you. I also arrive on the 24th in the afternoon. So hopefully I will see you around the hotel.

Yea I'm a little nervous about the unrest in Egypt as well, but gAdventures has reassured me that everything will be sweet! Also one of my friends is over there now while everything is happening and she said its fine, just stay away from the square area. :)

I'm going to go youtube our tour now! See you in a few weeks!
vanessanz

Postby worldtravelguy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 am

Hello all!
Someone from Gadventures rest me assured as well. They said if anything they'll change the itinerary to include more flights instead of land travel. I'm still not 100% convinced though given that given that the Canadian Embassy is shut down there, and has a high alert not to avoid non-essential travel there. But since they do have a base in Cairo, it does make me feel a bit better since they can let them know firsthand. Also, thanks Vanessa for letting us know about your friend. Is she in the Egypt or Jordan portion currently? I'm just wondering since I'm watching the news (yes, I know they blow a lot of things out or proportion) and it seems to be getting a lot worse. Ahhh so nerve-racking lol.

worldtravelguy

Postby vanessanz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi!

She is currently over there with her partner. Shes didn't do any tour traveling Egypt. She said that she was a bit nervous when she got there but she said unless you go looking for the protests you will be fine. She said she avoided the square, which meant she missed the Egyptian Museum, but didn't really mind because of the circumstances.

I had a look where our hotel is and where the square is and its on the other side of the Nile, so it should be fine. G adventures wouldn't take us anywhere dangerous or near the protests. The Australian/New Zealand embassy has warn against travel to Egypt here as well. I'm registered with the safe travel over here and it updates me with any changes. Maybe do the same in Canada?

I honesty think we will be fine. Just have to be smart when traveling from place to place I guess?
vanessanz

Postby rayray 2013 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi , I'm ray.

Im 30 year old canadian ,It's funny how I found your group , I was looking for information about my flight to Cairo on the 24 th of July 2013 because I was wondering if AirFrance would stop flying to Egypt because of the unrest and the bad situation that is going on for a few days now. Based on your opinions it's ok then ! It reassure me a little. Thank you all and have a great trip . And maybe ill see you there but I'm not going with a tour guide. I'm gonna explore instead and go to coastal Areas like sharm .

Ray
rayray 2013

Postby worldtravelguy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi Ray,

I almost thought you were part of our group too! If you're going by yourself, be extra careful. We'll be fortunate to have a tour guide with us at all times, but exploring yourself might be shady in some parts so just stay away from places you see any sort of gathering or disruption.

I also fly Air France from Toronto on July 24, so who knows I'll probably see you on the flight :)

worldtravelguy

Postby worldtravelguy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:43 am

Hey all - Just heard the sad news that the trip got cancelled :(
It seems the situation is getting worse there, so they (and many other tour companies) have cancelled all the trips until it gets safe there again.

If anyone is interested, I've changed my trip to Highlights of Jordan and Israel Explorer.

worldtravelguy

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge