Zim vs Zam at victoria falls

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Zim vs Zam at victoria falls

Postby christiek77 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:16 am

I will be traveling to Zimbabwe to Victoria Falls. Is paying the visa fee and departure fee to enter Zambia to see that side of the falls worth it? any activities that I shouldn't miss out on?
christiek77
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Zim vs Zam at victoria falls

Postby tletter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:29 pm

christiek77 wrote:Is paying the visa fee and departure fee to enter Zambia to see that side of the falls worth it?

Not in my experience if all you want to see is the Zambian side of the falls, especially if you have to return back to Zimbabwe. In our case we had to buy another visa at $100 pp to get back into Zimbabwe even though we only were in Zambia for 6 hours.

christiek77 wrote:any activities that I shouldn't miss out on?

In Zambia, the microlight flights over the falls and the trip to Livingstone Island at the lip of the falls were very good.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby kateyb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 am

I enjoyed the Zim side much more. But I was there in the wet season and on the Zam side you really couldn't properly see the falls.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lincs56 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 pm

You are able to walk along opposite much more of the falls on the Zimbabwe side so if you only have time for one side, I'd vote for Zimbabwe (we were on the Zambia side but went across to Zim for one day). It may depend on the time of year you are going?
I did a helicopter flight which I thought was fab as it gave you much more of an idea of the scale of the falls.
lincs56

Postby flo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:37 am

Hi

Do you remember how much you paid for the helicopter flight? Could you pay in US$?
Thanks
flo

Postby kateyb » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:57 am

I paid for a package deal which had three different activities and the price was a little different. Helicopter alone would be $140 for a short flight. I don't think a long flight would be necessary. I paid credit card, but some people paid US.
kateyb

Postby planner1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:18 pm

I got a multiple entry visa for Zambia and then walked across the border to Zimbabwe for the day. It was a great decision -- the views were much better from Zimbabwe.

I paid for the overflight of the falls with a credit card with no problem. It was definitely a highlight of my time in southern Africa.
planner1

Postby helix » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 pm

We stayed in Livingstone (Zambia) and walked across the border to see falls from Zim side. I enjoyed both sides. If i had to pick one, then maybe Zimbabwe. But Livingstone is nice place to stay for few days, i don't know about Victoria Falls (town in Zimbabwe). We stayed in Jollyboys, probably one of my favourite hostels ever. :)
helix
User Rank: Weekender

Postby georginal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 am

I didn't cross and kinda regret it now, cos it means Zim is still on my wish list!! Maybe I'll have to get back there one day and do Zim properly (as in not just the falls) sometime!
georginal

Postby AdamfromCanada » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:54 pm

christiek77 wrote:I will be traveling to Zimbabwe to Victoria Falls. Is paying the visa fee and departure fee to enter Zambia to see that side of the falls worth it? any activities that I shouldn't miss out on?

I went across to Zimbabwe, during the dry season, and it was absolutely worth it, even though, as a Canadian my cost was considerably higher than Americans or most Europeans.

From the Zambian side, you get to see about 1/3rd of the Falls. The rest is more visible from the Zimbabwe side and if you ask me, that includes the most scenic views. There was also 1/10th the people at the falls on the Zimbabwe side when we were there.

Yes, it's expensive, but if you can afford it, I definitely recommend doing both sides.
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby jbknown » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm

we did helicopter trip over the falls and rafting from the zambian side. not to be believed experience. only rivaled by seeing how the locals there 'see' the falls. zimbabwe is touristed. on the zambian side, families with young children running about picnic within feet of the roaring river edge.
jbknown

Postby nataliejuk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am

Looks like the general consenus is that Zim is worth paying the extra visa fees & park costs for the view then...!
nataliejuk

Return to Africa and Middle East