Struggles in Ecuador - One Planet One Future

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

Struggles in Ecuador - One Planet One Future

Postby lyndamccall » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm an avid G Adventures traveller, been to Costa Rica and on 3 of their tours to South America. G Adventures is now going the extra mile and providing a grant to make a sustainable idea come to reality. I have spent the last 18 months volunteering in Ecuador and I have made a strong connection with the people of Intag. Their livelihoods are currently at risk as the government is planning to replace the last stands of tropical cloud forest (only 2% of cloud forest left in the world are tropical cloud forests) with a large scale open pit copper mine. Never have I seen poverty or lack of opportunity like what exists here. I'm truly sadden that the future for this region and it's people is so uncertain . I have entered a proposal for the creation of a community cloud forest reserve into their contest. It focuses on education,conservation, sustainable agriculture, investing in the youth and boosting local economy using tourism. With only 2 days left I really need your help to make this a reality for the people in Ecuador. You can vote once a day until June 3rd!

And if you ever visit Otavalo Ecuador, make the extra step and travel into Intag...I guarantee you won't regret it!
http://www.thisisyourplanet.com/ideas/community/138

Take a minute and read what world famous Ecologist E.O. Wilson has to say about the importance of this area to the world! This is why you should vote!
http://www.intagcloudforest.com/wilson.htm

Thanks
Lynda
lyndamccall
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel