AHIF130412: India Family Adventure Ap 12

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

AHIF130412: India Family Adventure Ap 12

Postby medicgord » Wed May 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Just booked this trip today. We are wondering if anyone else will be on the tour with us.

Gord, Brenda, Leah and Hamish
medicgord
User Rank: Weekender

Re: AHIF130412: India Family Adventure Ap 12

Postby charlotteackerley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi,
we have just booked on this trip today, It will be myself and my son George aged 7 traveling. really looking forward to it.
Charlotte
charlotteackerley

Postby medicgord » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:56 pm

That's Cool! Brenda, the kids and I were starting to think that we were going to be the only ones on this tour.

Hamish will be seven by the time we travel. Leah will be 13. I'll leave Brenda's and my ages out of it. We're from Northern Ontario in Canada, and this will be our first trip overseas.

Glad to hear your coming along.
medicgord

Postby charlotteackerley » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 am

That's fantastic to hear George will have someone of his own age on the trip, I was concerned he would be the youngest there. We will be traveling from the uk, We live just outside of London. It will be our first trip to India so really looking forward to it.
Charlotte
charlotteackerley

Postby cyrano » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 am

Hello. We are from Switzerland. We will attend to the trip in April 2014. Our daughter is 6, so she will be the youngest at this time of bookings? We are looking forward - must be very interesting. I am bit concerned because of voilence in this country. See you soon... :P
cyrano
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby medicgord » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:54 am

That's cool! This is one of the reasons that we booked a tour rather than travelling on our own, so that our kids will have other kids to share the experience with.

We will be doing some travelling in India before joining the tour. Violence and crime are concerns for us as well but not overly so. We are doing our research and will be taking appropriate precautions. Violent crime rates there are still less than in the US (were we occasionally travel) and we don't give that to much thought when we travel there, other than taking similar precautions as we will be in India.

Again, we are so happy to have more people coming on the tour. We are all looking forward to meeting everyone!
medicgord

Postby charlotteackerley » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:51 am

Hi, I was Just Wondering if anyone has a list of the hotels we are staying in yet, the 3rd party company i booked with said they will send me a more 'detailed confirmed itinerary' nearer the time but id really like to take a look at the hotels.

Thanks

Charlotte
charlotteackerley

Postby medicgord » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Hello Charlotte

Our travel agent called us recently to tell us the name of the hotel that we will be meeting at: Hotel Grand Park Inn. http://www.hotelgrandparkinn.com/

Be careful when looking it up online, as Brenda and I have discovered, there are several hotels with similar names in the same city.

On the 16th/17th of April we will be in Tordi Garh. I'm pretty sure that this is the link for that place: http://www.tordigarh.com/index.html Our daughter is looking forward to visiting this place.

We were also wondering if you or anyone else is are planning on showing up to the hotel in Delhi early? We haven't finalized our travel arrangement from Goa yet, but we intend to be at Hotel Grand Park Inn at least one, and possibly two nights before the start of the tour. If anyone is going to be there early as well, and are interested in exploring some of the places in Delhi that are not on the tour perhaps we could all do so together.

See you in Delhi

medicgord

Postby charlotteackerley » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:32 am

Thank you that's Brilliant. The Tordigarh place looks amazing and i am pretty sure that's the area my Grandparents were brought up. unfortunately we are arriving the morning of the tour but if we are not to jet lagged we would love to do a little exploring.

Charlotte and George
charlotteackerley

Postby medicgord » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:59 pm

We'll wager a mango lassi and a couple of pani puris that this is the hotel we will be booked into while in Udaipur.

http://www.rangniwaspalace.com/index.htm

medicgord

Postby tlr » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:37 pm

We are just about to book! We wanted to sort out our visas first and look into adding a couple of days in Varanasi afterwards. Just myself and my 12 year old daughter. Have you all managed to find good flights?
tlr

Postby medicgord » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:30 pm

tlr wrote:We are just about to book! We wanted to sort out our visas first and look into adding a couple of days in Varanasi afterwards. Just myself and my 12 year old daughter. Have you all managed to find good flights?

Hey, that's cool tlr!

My wife and I were hoping to have someone our daughters age on the trip as well.

I don't think that there are an "good flights" when your coming all the way from Canada;)

See you in Delhi.

Gord
medicgord

Postby medicgord » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I don't mean to contradict what my husband Gord said, I just want to give my opinion.

About flights, I think we`ve picked a rather good flight. We have a late evening flight with the idea the kids may sleep as well as having only one short stop over. Out of New Delhi all the flights seem to leave at the non-kid friendly time of 2:30am! Again with only one short lay over and our flight ends in the afternoon. Our thinking is it would be better to get all the flying over as quickly as possible than to prolong it with long waits at an airport, but airports in other countries have everything for kids from playrooms to mini golf! We are taking the approach of ripping off the Band-Aid in one quick pull rather than slowly little by little enduring it. We will only know whether we have chosen wisely afterwards!

We have travelled on long multiply day car trips with kids before but never a flight.

My question is whether we should book a hotel now for after the flight considering it's length, even if we land at noon, instead of attempting to drive the long 6+ hour way home. How tired do you get from jet lag?!

I can't wait to meet you all,

Brenda
medicgord

Postby charlotteackerley » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:09 am

Hi,
Great to hear there's more people coming on the trip, with only 11 weeks to go i was thinking it would just be 3 family's. Its just me and my son coming on the trip too and we seem to of been lucky enough to of booked both flights to and from the UK as night flights. Has anyone applied for visas yet?

Charlotte
charlotteackerley

Postby medicgord » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi Charlotte

I'm in the process of trying to apply for Visas for all of us right now. I'm not sure how or if the procedure changes between Canada and the UK, but I'm having a real struggle with it. We have to apply through a private company (BLS International) and the procedures on their website are sometimes vague, and sometimes contradictory. I haven't been able to contact the company by phone yet, but have successfully done so via email, which only returned more contradictory instructions.

Have you, or any of the other families, applied yet, and if so, how was the experience?

I'm glad I started this very early.

Gord
medicgord

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge