Joining hotel in Bangkok

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Joining hotel in Bangkok

Postby mcgra845 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 am

Hi guys,
I am starting the Indochina Encompassed ATIE tour on June 1st and I am arriving at early on June 1 in Bangkok I have booked a night at the Bangkok Centre Hotel for that night. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this? Regarding do I check out of my room at check out time (10am I assume) and check straight back into my double room which I will be sharing with a tour mate. Or do I need to wait til later in the afternoon to do this??
Hope this makes sense.
Rachael
mcgra845
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Joining hotel in Bangkok

Postby molly1958 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 am

Hi Rachael
I did this same thing on a trip to Morocco. The hotel had me check out of my single room at 11 and moved me immediately to the double room. My tour roommate showed up sometime later in the day (I was out exploring the city). You may want to just double check with them when you arrive.

I am planning on going on Indochina Encompassed ATIE in October. I would be very interested in hearing how things go ..... good, bad, anything we should miss, watch for things to buy, good spots to eat, any extra things we may want to pack, any other hints or tips you may pick up along the way.

What are you doing about malaria drugs? I am trying to decide if I need them for the whole 29 days - or maybe just a part of the trip.

How did you get along with getting visas for each of the countries. I haven't really checked all that out yet.
Enjoy the trip!
Last edited by molly1958 on Fri May 17, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
molly1958
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ballu » Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

I usually do pre-tour accommodation...sometimes your tour roommate will join you in your room, sometimes you have to move. When you wake up in the morning just ask at reception if they need you to move before you head out to explore for the day.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby onyx007 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 am

Yeah, if you booked your pre-night through Gap then it might be that you can stay in your room (happend to me once before) but most of the time you check out of your room and if the "new" room is not ready by check-out time (which is possible in the Bangkok Centre Hotel) then they will store your baggage and you come back by 2pm. (or just enjoy the pool)

I did this trip in february 2012. So I can give you both following tipps:

The joining hotel in Bangkok, the "Bangkok Centre Hotel" charges a ridiculous amount for their WIFI, but just around the corner on the main street is a much cheaper Internet Café.
If you arrive early at the hotel and don't have a clou where to go take the public bus no. 53 (just in front of the "Family Mart" on the main street). This bus will you take for only 6.50 Baht (sometimes for free) direct to the Royal Palace and also further on to the backpacker area of Kao San Road.

By the way if you arrive at a "normal" time at the airport, don't bother to look for a bus (there is no bus), go directly to the train station and take the regular train, change at Makassan to the subway and this journey will cost you only 64 Baht in total. If you take a taxi to the city it should only cost you 500 Baht. Go with a taxi with meter or make a deal before you get in one; a couple paid for their taxi 1500 Baht!

The dinner on your train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is fine, but you might bring along something for the morning, as our train arrived with a delay of 2 1/2 hours in Chiang Mai (instead of 8 am at 10.30 am).

If your tourguide gives you the option in Chiang Mai to go to "Tiger Kingdom". It's amazing. It's a petting zoo, where you can go in to the paddocks and play with different sizes of tigers (depends on the price you're willing to pay).

In Luang Prapang the “Ziplining” is great fun and the ride and bathing with the elephants is just amazing. Check out the terrace of the UTOPIA-Bar.

In Hue we had the great opportunity to do our included tours and some more sights on a back of a motorbike like the locals are used to ride.

If you’re a shopaholic prepare for Hoi An in Vietnam. They have 400 tailorshops there and some of our group had to buy another bag or even ship their shopping back home. You can even bring along some magazine clippings if you like a dress like a star and can't efford it. The bikeride there is great as well; some of us had the opportunity to ride a waterbufallo.

And finally it’s allright to bring your own laptop. In most of the hotels they have free WIFI, even in Vietnam, but there (except in Saigon) Facebook is blocked, but I downloaded something and it worked fine. But they have computers in the hotel lobby and on this computers Facebook is available.

If you have any questions regarding this trip, just write me.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby mcgra845 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi guys,
Thank you very much for your replies!
Molly1958 - I am just taking Malaria tablets while I am in Laos my Dr said that with proper precautions (DEET bug spray, mosquito nets and covering up at night) I would be safe. I am taking Malarone as I can not take Doxy due to my very fair skin which will burn even worse with Doxy. So I start taking Malarone in Chiang Kong the whole seven days in Laos and another seven once I leave. They are pretty expensive here in New Zealand cost my $10 a pill so $170 all up. I will let you know how these go along with the trip etc when I return!
Thanks again
Rachael
mcgra845

Postby i_schneider » Sat May 18, 2013 7:37 am

We arrived a day early in Feb for the cambodia & laos mekong adventure. We got codes for free wifi for our stay, and coupon for a free breakfast buffett (which starts at 6am or 630 am, i can't remember). It's within walking distance to many restaurants and the train station.

We had the same room for our second night.

Have fun!
i_schneider

Return to Asia