Jinja rafting and gorilla trek

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Jinja rafting and gorilla trek

Postby kbh01 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew the grades for the rafting in Jinja? Definitely want to do it but trying to get the correct travel insurance, they seem reluctant to cover me for anything over Grade 4.

Also, just a general question to anyone who's recently done the Kenya-Uganda tour - any tips and did you have fun?

Thanks in advance!
kbh01
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Jinja rafting and gorilla trek

Postby ballu » Wed May 08, 2013 2:28 pm

The rapids get to grade 5 in Jinja...I think technically the last one is a grade 6, but you get out and walk a bit down the river then get back in the raft at a point where it's only a grade 5 drop. Amazing day though.

Apply sunblock frequently, especially to your thighs and the tops of your feet as they'll get direct sun exposure. I got scorched.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby bkbkbkbk » Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Indeed grade 5 did a whole day rafting and it's totally worth it :p
went with this company http://adrift.ug/

Oh they'll also ask you if you want to go easy or with a bit more action, take the action! :D
bkbkbkbk

Postby kbh01 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 am

Did your guide arrange it or is it something you have to do on your own? Just want to make sure I don't miss out now!
kbh01

Postby ballu » Mon May 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Your tour leader will likely help you arrange this...there are two main companies, Adrift and Nile Raft Explorers. I didn't do this as part of a G Adventures trip so I arranged mine on my own, but you'll probably want to go with your group.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby markmol » Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 pm

hi, the camp site had a tour guide that asked you what tours you wanted to do, i have rafted before so i opted to go quad bike riding for the day. The camp we stayed at is the Adrift Nile High Camp, if you look it up they may have the options available on thier website.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby bkbkbkbk » Tue May 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Didn't go with g adventures but as said above the tourleader will give you all the information needed.

The gorilla track is awesome but be sure to take enough water. I really underestimated it and was pretty exhausted :p but this comes from a woman who doesn't do sports :)
Oh and long sleeves, not too thin trousers and of course gardening gloves are a must! Those nettles were pretty nasty sometimes.
bkbkbkbk

Return to Africa and Middle East