Information regarding Chinese Visa

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Information regarding Chinese Visa

Postby gina_1991 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:34 am

Hi guys

I am in the process of applying for all my visas for my up and coming trip this summer. I have used a travel agent in order to apply for my India visa as many people have said this was the easier option as timeframes/requirements can get tricky etc....

However i now need to apply for my China visa and was hoping to do this directly in order to save some money. I fly into to Hong Kong and fly out of Shanghai which makes it a little more difficult as i realise the visa criteria is very strict in terms of providing hotel details etc. Considering i do not have much planned to date about my stay within China its starting to become a little over whelming.

Can anyone shed any light on the following-

1.) How to apply for your visa as there are many different websites offering this service and the process involved with applying. additionally Is the visa criteria as strick as it is made out to be?

2.) Lastly any handy tips on travelling from Hong Kong to Shanghai as i am spending 12 days here in total and don't want to waste any time.

gina_1991
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Information regarding Chinese Visa

Postby jodieking » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:33 am

Hey Gina

I'm based in the UK and I applied for my Chinese visa using an agent. It was really simple. I had to fill out a form and follow the checklist (passport photo, copies of itinerary etc). G Adventures provided me with the accommodation info and the invitee letter that I needed.

Like you, I was expecting some issues, but I had it back within the week, with no queries.

Depends on where you are based I guess but I had no problems. Hope you find the same!

Jo
jodieking

Postby IndyGent » Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Gina,

I'm not sure if you need a multiple entry visa when you fly into Hong Kong and out of mainland China. The cost of the visa is about double in that case. Probably the easiest way to apply for a Chinese visa is with a visa agent. Standing in line at the Consul/visa office is something I would never do again. For some reason landing cards weren't handed out on my Air China flight to Beijing and had to be filled out as you stood in line at BORDER CONTROL/Immigration. If I remember correctly you had to give them the name of your first hotel. To be honest, I didn't find China an easy place to travel to, in, or from. Too many levels of officialdom perhaps.

IndyGent
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby gina_1991 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Perfect thanks!

I am considering just using an agent to be honest it seems the easiest thing to do. However when we have asked the agency they have been pretty strict on all of our hotels being booked. As we are not going on an organised tour this is a little bit of a pain as we are unsure of our exact plans yet.
gina_1991

Postby lauren.amundson » Mon May 06, 2013 7:46 pm

I live in a city big enough to have a Chinese Embassy (Chicago, IL, USA) so we just went there and got them. It was easy, but had a long wait. Other friends of mine have used an agent. Basically the agent goes to an embassy for you and turns in all your documentation, which I find humorous :).
lauren.amundson

Postby niina » Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Just remind :many country citizens does not need visa under 30 days staying in Hong Kong.
niina

Return to Asia