Arrival back into Ushuaia

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Arrival back into Ushuaia

Postby tammys » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:43 pm

My husband and I are going on the Antarctica Classic cruise departing November 28 and are planning an add-on in Patagonia afterwards which will see us fly from Ushuaia to El Calafate. The cruise notes say that the cruise arrives back in Ushuaia on the morning of the 8th December. Flights leave at 13:05 or 17:25. Is it realistic to book one of these flights on our day of disembarking, or would be wiser to overnight in Ushuaia and leave the next day? I guess I am trying to find out how much variation there is in arrival time into Ushuaia at the end of the cruise. Thanks in advance!
tammys
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Arrival back into Ushuaia

Postby TravelFun » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 am

Hi there, the ships arrive in the morning but delays can happen anytime and when it does people are in a mad rush trying to get to their flight. I would recommend staying overnight and if you have time do spend at least a couple of days in Ushuaia. There's plenty of walks and things to do here before discovering Patagonia. If you really have to leave on the same day of arrival then go for the evening flight 17:25.

Yeahhhhh, Antarctica and Patagonia are amazing and you'll have a fabulous time.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby anonymous928 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:34 am

We were docked in Ushuaia by dinner the night before disembarkation. I would go ahead and book the flight you really want. You will usually only get delayed if there is a storm in the Drake, but if a storm is coming they will plan accordingly and leave Antarctica in time. They schedule cruises to disembark and depart the same day with time to restock/refuel/clean the ship. The later the flight you are on the greater chance will be stranded by airline delays/cancellations too since service is spotty in that area.
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:36 pm

We docked in Ushuaia the evening before disembarkation. I think the captain will generally try to get into Ushuaia the night before rather than have to do a small boat transfer for the harbor pilot in the wee hours of the morning in time to transit the sound and dock in time for disembarkation. We got to the airport early enough to have to wait 2 hours for the counter to open.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby travellinghappy » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 am

Hi there,
As there is another trip departing on the day your trip finishes (the 'Antarctic Peninsula and the Weddell Sea' trip starts 07Dec and will therefore leave port on 08Dec), you can be fairly confident in booking a flight for 08Dec, if that's what you want to do.
On our trip, the boat got in the night before and a bus load of us were on lunchtime flights out of Ushuaia on the day of embarkation. Some people even departed earlier in the morning!

But there are no guarantees when it comes to Antarctica, and it's worth spending time in Ushuaia/Tierra del Fuego if you can spare a few days.
Enjoy!
travellinghappy
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby TravelFun » Thu May 02, 2013 9:23 pm

All points made are valid...I'm just stating from my own experience. Our ship had an issue so we didn't dock in Ushuaia the night before and came into Ushuia mid-day and was getting close to people's flight times.

Ushuaia is a really cool place to stay around if you have the time.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic