Proper precauations for Peru trip?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Proper precauations for Peru trip?

Postby sinecure » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:36 am

Some shots require more time than others, our travel dr. prefers that we call and work out a good time. Normally around 2-3 months. There will always be someone trying to get in the week before they leave, and he has to turn their arm into a pin cushion.
sinecure

Postby poplyric » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Just came back from two weeks ago from the travel Doctor
Hep A/B takes One shot then a month later then the third one the 6 months later , but was told after the 2nd one I should be good ,as the third just makes it a lifetime shot
all the others I am going for in a couple weeks
-Yellow Fever - some places in the Amazon Require this
-Second Hep A/B
-oral Typhoid
and pick up the Dukoal ,(travellers' diarrhea) which should receive 2 doses, 1 to 6 weeks apart. The second dose should be given at least 1 week before departure. Protection lasts for 3 months.

I also got Tetanus,polio and measles booster that where free (Canadian heath care) thats what they recommended for me , Being totally healthy now
poplyric
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby gocubsgirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Even in the Amazon, most of us didn't take the anti-malarial pills and our local guides said they hadn't heard of any cases in 10 years. That soaking your clothes in Permethrin ahead of the trip is your best defense along with good mosquito repellent with at least 30% deet.

http://www.rei.com/product/751264/sawye ... pray-12-oz

If you do want to be extra sure and take anti-malarials, remember that you have to start taking them days before you head into the jungle area.

Peru rocks! Enjoy!
gocubsgirl
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Previous

Return to South America